Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

November 19, 2019
By bushcamper5000 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
bushcamper5000 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A daily priority. Something necessary for surviving Arrowhead High School, at least for me, is going to the coffee shop. As I walk the sterile hallways and pass empty faces, I know there is one warm and inviting room. That one place is the reason I get out of bed every morning and stay motivated. As I smell fresh coffee beans, I feel better, knowing an angel is near.


I take a right into the room beautifully decorated according to which holiday is next. Finally, a place feels like a home away from home. Mrs. Dlobik notices me and greets me with a warm hug. She is a mother, grandmother, and a close friend to just about every staff member. She’s the first thing teachers and students see at the beginning of their days while getting coffee. What a privilege to be in the presence of someone who cares so much about me every morning, greeting me with a hug or a compliment. I realize this is my safe place on the grounds of roughly two thousand people, thanks to Mrs. Dlobik. 


The coffee shop is a place for special needs students to practice and experience real-life jobs. There, Mrs. Dlobik patiently teaches them the mastery of being a barista, as well as creates a peaceful environment for students who come to study. This is where Mrs. Dlobik spends most of her time—helping those in need of guidance, offering to be the backbone of each and every one of those two thousand students. She devotes herself to the growth of others. Her positivity radiates brighter than the sun itself. She is the thing I needed in my junior and senior years. 


As I faced hardship in my last two years of high school, and personal traumatic events, I knew at least one person would understand and try to help: Mrs. Dlobik. Despite dealing with her own personal challenges, she maintains a positive attitude and 24/7, great mood.


I strive to be just like her. She exemplifies what a positive outlook can do. She got through hard times, so I know I can too. It’s like she knows what’s happening in everyone’s life before even talking to them. If she could tell something was just a little off about me, she would ask me which coffee I wanted—and “no coffee” wasn’t an acceptable answer.


While students work on packets and projects, she would get everyone’s attention by saying, “I know high school is a stressful place and it’s hard and there are so many pressures, but I want you all to know that in this coffee shop you can let all your worries go away and be yourself.” We would sing songs together, and she let us play music of our choice over the speakers. She created an environment we all needed, and for that, I am forever grateful.