Mr. Gustavo Chaviano | Teen Ink

Mr. Gustavo Chaviano

April 8, 2022
By Rbonne BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Rbonne BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have had a lot of great teachers while I’ve been in school but none of them are like Mr. Chaviano. Mr. C is more than just a teacher, he is a mentor and a friend. Mr. C teaches choir and Broadway Company at Arrowhead High school, which I am both in but the class where he has made the biggest impact on me is Broadway Company.

Broadway Company is a class where we spend the last period of the school day together and after school to get musicals ready to perform for the public. Mr. C helps us improve as performers and pushes us to be the best we can once we step on stage. He goes above and beyond to make our show the best it can be. One example is this past year we put on the show Catch Me If You Can. Mr. C didn’t like one of the costumes we had so he went out and spent his own money to buy us better costumes. This just shows how Mr. C truly cares about us performers and isn’t just a teacher or director.

As a freshman when I was nervous and scared for high school Mr. C helped me find my place before I even knew where I was supposed to be. In Baritone Choral, which is the freshman boys choir, I would mess around in class with the rest of the students. But Mr. C for some reason still liked me and pushed me to improve my singing in a class where no one wanted to try because it wasn’t “cool” to sing.

At the end of the year, Mr. C asked me to try out for the Broadway Company which he teaches at North Campus. I really didn’t want to do it because I didn’t want to be made fun of for becoming a theater kid. Mr. C was persistent though and would ask me everyday if I had decided to try out. Mr. C is the real reason that I am in Broadway Company today.

When I was first in Broadway Company, I didn’t take it too seriously. I would mess around and was very immature. Mr. C would always have to call me out in class to tell me to stop talking and focus on what the task is at hand. But he for some reason still liked me even though I caused him so much trouble.

I didn’t really try very hard but Mr. C always tried to push me to put forth more effort because he saw potential in me that I couldn’t even see. I didn’t want to try because I didn’t want to feel embarrassed if I didn’t get a part after putting forth effort.

My senior year I started to try a little bit more but Mr. C still was pushing me to prepare myself more. For one of our shows there was a part that I didn’t try out for because I didn’t prepare myself for tryouts. After all the tryouts he told me to practice the part that night and then had me tryout the next day. He ended up giving me the part and I performed it in that year's MTN. He pushed me out of my comfort zone of performing on stage and has been a great mentor for me through my high school years.