A Physics Teacher's Passion | Teen Ink

A Physics Teacher's Passion

Mrs. G has been a teacher for 38 years, having taught a variety of subjects including physics, mechanics, chemistry, and environmental science. I have had the pleasure of being her student for two years, learning chemistry and physics under her guidance. She is a teacher who deeply cares for her students, only wanting the best for them and going to great lengths to help them succeed. 

Earlier this year, we were learning about gravitational motion and I recall being deeply distraught and confused about the topic. Every day for about a week, I would go to her classroom after school to ask for help. Together, we would go over the homework problems I completed and figure out what I did wrong. She would show me the correct solution and explain the concept in great detail. Moreover, she was never bothered by my continuous visits and encouraged me to come to her for any further questions I had. Though she was swamped with other work and helping other students, she always made sure I got the attention I needed to succeed in her class. 

Mrs. G does all she can to help her students grow and develop as learners. Every Tuesday, she has a help session online after school to help students with any problems. Most of the time, no one shows up, yet she continues to hold the help sessions, being content with sacrificing her time to wait for any students who might possibly show up. Most teachers don’t hold designated help sessions after school, clocking out after the school day to return to their personal lives. This is expected, as teachers are humans too who have private lives to enjoy. Yet, Mrs. G blurs this line for the sake of her students, oftentimes leaving the school well after 8 p.m. 

A few weeks ago, I applied for a volunteer program that required a teacher reference. I asked Mrs. G and she gladly agreed to help. Unexpectedly, there were multiple technical difficulties throughout the process, which hindered Mrs. G from being able to receive the teacher form which had to be filled out. I contacted her during spring break, not expecting her reply until after the break was over. Much to my surprise, she responded the next day, and continued updating me several times throughout the break about the status of her teacher form. Despite spring break being a time for teachers to relax, Mrs. G worked tirelessly to help me. The dedication she has for her students is immeasurable.

Mrs. G’s classes are not only educational, but also engaging. She often shows us cool physics toys, piquing our attention and interest. She actively engages in meaningful conversations with students, establishing a profound teacher-student relationship. She often shares stories about her life with us, allowing us students to know her beyond the teacher façade and glimpse into the beautiful person she is on the inside. Mrs. G deserves recognition for all the passion she exudes as a teacher.

Teachers work hard to help their students succeed, but some go above and beyond to do so. We should recognize and appreciate the efforts of these teachers who have shown immense dedication and passion towards teaching.