Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By brooke19 SILVER, Merton, Wisconsin
brooke19 SILVER, Merton, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

A hero is someone who is admired for outstanding courage. By that definition, your outstanding courage makes you a hero. I can’t begin to imagine the bravery it took to leave your home and go to war. I appreciate your service, and all that you have done for our country. Welcome home.

My name is Brooke and I’m a junior in high school. Everyone is pushing me to decide what to do when I’m older, and it’s hard to imagine that when you were my age, you were making the decision to join the military. My grandfather made that choice, and I know that he was treated poorly when he came back. When I heard some of his stories, I felt unnerved knowing that many Veterans were treated similarly. I hope that now you have all the respect and gratitude that you deserve.

In English class, we watched a video about the Honor Flight. As I watched the veterans at the memorials, I couldn’t help but smile at how moving it was. I’m glad that you get to have that experience too, you deserve it! I am incredibly thankful for your time, your service, and your sacrifice. Welcome home.

Sincerely,

Brooke