UNO | Teen Ink

UNO MAG

“Sophia, no hagas tu mundo tan pequeño cuando el mundo es tan grande.” (Sophia don’t make your world so small when the world is so big.) Oh how I loved this saying. I learned Spanish from the stories my mami told me before bed, stories of the brave heroes who traveled through rivers and deserts to reach the long desired pais de los suenos (nation of dreams).

These were the heroes I’d focus on when having to answer: “What does citizenship mean to you?” Sharing my beloved rendition of my parent’s pais de los suenos only received nasty looks from my classmates. I was shocked when one of them raised their hand and announced I had done the assignment incorrectly because my parents were “aliens.” I wanted to yell and defend my mami and papi, I wanted to know how someone could be so rude – but all I could do was cry.

Later that evening I stayed up until midnight waiting for my dad to return from his third job. That night we decided to play the card game “UNO” as I told him about my day at school. I’ll never forget what my papi told me that night. “Sofi, just because someone speaks their truth doesn’t mean you have to make it yours.” In that moment I learned the truth about citizenship and how the UNO cards seemed to represent my life. My “Wild” card is the fact that my parents are undocumented immigrants who aren’t considered citizens in this nation. This is the truth – but it’s not mine. I am the daughter of two human beings who have displayed the characteristics of moral citizens; they know what it means to sacrifice and leave it all behind. Now, it’s my turn to stand up for them and myself; I am not ashamed of my heritage. Seventeen years later, they’re trapped in the land of dreams but have learned to make the most of their world. Their dreams have now become mine. Their opportunities were never theirs, they were always meant for me. Now, I dream of becoming the first person in my family to graduate. 

The “Skip” card represents the numerous times I wish I could’ve said something to people who don’t understand my reality. All the times my parents have had to stay quiet, acting as if they actually were from another world. Every “Draw Two” is an obstacle that has been presented before me. What will happen to us if we’re caught? Will I always have to stay quiet? My “alien” parents have been living in the shadows, fearing they’ll be caught, but I’m tired of this same old move. I’m ready to change the way people think, ready to share my story. This is the truth. No matter what card is played, there is always a countermove to fight back, and I will keep fighting until my parents are recognized for who they are.

I am the daughter of people who have been oppressed for centuries, a daughter who has inherited the courage and bravery to speak up on behalf of misrepresented citizens who deserve a second chance, the ones who are more than just aliens. Laying down my second to last card, my time has come, and I’m ready to say “UNO.”