Superman and Me | Teen Ink

Superman and Me

By ALEXISREYNA200441 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
ALEXISREYNA200441 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

This might be an interesting story all by itself. She was a young, Mexican girl, living with her mom and three sisters in a neighborhood with others of the same background. Isolated from those of much more privileged backgrounds.What did other people think of her? She’ll probably work at some fast food restaurant for the rest of her life. Everyone looked at her, and they didn’t see much. They assumed she had no future ahead of her.  What they saw was a poor Mexican, and a failure. They saw her as a highschool dropout or teen mom who had no proper education whatsoever.

They didn’t want to see a mexican girl become intelligent. They wanted the intelligence all to themself, no one but them. Americans wanted to be the brightest, no one else. At school, I had many friends but they were all of the same color. They all believed we’d get nowhere in life because we didn’t have the intelligence of the white kids. We were separate from the other kids at school,the white kids. We all knew what their parents and them thought of us. But weren’t they right. None of my friends tried. When they were given homework they never completed it. When asked a question in class they never knew because they had been busy fooling around. They were all contributing to the idea that mexicans are dumb and lazy. Although those who succeeded smiled, not because they were proud of them himself but to get the white american kids approval. That was a huge thing I witnessed growing up here, seeing mexican kids try to live up to the expectations of the the white american people. Sady the majority of them failed:many giving up and never bothering to try again because they had a fixed mindset of not being good enough. The white american world had pushed them to the edge, expecting one to many things. Mexicans couldn’t handle this.

I, on the other hand was different I wanted to succeed. I was intelligent. I was accepted.   I was lucky. I managed to get liked by the sometimes cruel white american world. I used every chance I got to prove them wrong and show them I was intelligent. When there was a problem that needed to resolve I would try my best to find the best possible solution. Whenever the teacher asked a question in class, I would immediately raise my hand up before any of the white kids. If there was a student sitting by themselves at lunch I would go join the student. I knew with each day that passed along I would have to show my greatest self. I didn’t have a fixed mindset of not being successful: that would have only brought me down. I had a growth mindset of wanting to become a much more successful person. I needed to be the difference between the two worlds. I began building friendships with many of the white kids.and sharing many memories with them. I was smart enough to get accepted by whiter american community, I was smart enough to get them to view me differently than what they thought they knew. They didn’t see me as a low class mexican living in the worst part of town with a mother who only knew a few english words. Now, they saw me as a person with full potential. They saw me as someone with great intelligence, who loves to read and become friends with many others. I learned to read difficult books. I learned to ask high level questions. I learned how to complete the homework correctly.  I learned how to study for all the upcoming tests and came up with many methods.. I learned as many words as I possibly could in one day. I learned how to build friendships with the other students. I sued every opportunity given to show the white american community that I was different. I loved being able to interact with them and being able to show my intelligence. I knew I was different. I was trying to succeed.