Water Dunk | Teen Ink

Water Dunk

I swam up to the wall of the pool, placed my elbows on the edge, and looked up at my brother who was holding my best friend at the waist, preparing to throw her like a football. One second, she was in his arms, and the next, she was flying into the pool and made a giant splash.
When she surfaced, she yelled, "O.M.G. that was so fun! Now it's your turn!"
The sun beat down on my back as I got out of the nice, cool water. "Nah, I think I'll just go get us some drinks." I said.
"Okay, but when you come back, you have to get thrown in!" my brother said.
I walked away, relieved that I had some excuse to stall. It was the winter of 2009, and I was on vacation in Cozumel with my brother and my best friend. We had swum in the ocean, built sand castles on the beach, played cards in the nice shade of a beach umbrella, and we were bored. We resorted to play in the normal chlorine pool. We were playing Marco Polo when my brother came up with an activity I didn't enjoy, where he would throw us in the pool. The game was stupid. What was the point of being thrown in when I could just jump in? I watched as my best friend got thrown into the pool again and again, while I complained about a bad scratch on my foot, a bunch of water I had swallowed, or some other excuse for why I couldn't go back in when really I was just didn't want to go in. Relieved for the day, I settled onto the pool chair and watched as my best friend laughed and laughed, climbing out of the water and being thrown in again.
The next morning, I woke up happy and refreshed, just like drinking cool coconut water. I skipped down the stairs to the breakfast buffet and scooped myself a big bowl of Lucky Charms. After a few minutes, my best friend came downstairs and scooped herself a dish of sausages and eggs. She sat down next to me and pulled up an extra chair for my brother to come and sit in.
“So, are you gonna be thrown in after?” she said.
“Nah, I think I’ll pass today. I think I just wanna look around at the activities on the beach. Yesterday, I thought I saw a cool bowl-painting place. You should come too.” I said.
“I’m gonna stay at the pool. Being thrown in is actually really fun. There’s nothing to be afraid of!”
“Fine. I’ll get thrown in, but only once. Then I’m going to the bowl-painting place.”
My brother came downstairs just then and asked the chef to make him a personalized omelette. When the sloppy yellow mess of the omelette was scooped onto his plate, he joined us.
My best friend, excited, said, “Your sister's gonna get thrown in today! I’m so excited!”
“Once! How many times do I have to say it? I'm going to go one time! Then I’m gonna go to paint bowls.” I added quickly.
“Okay. Trust me, you’re gonna enjoy it!” my brother added.
We quickly ate our breakfast in silence, and when everyone was done, my best friend jumped up and pointed. “To the pool!” she nearly screamed.
I trudged along behind them; half scared to death. My heart was racing, my hands were sweating, and my knees were shaking so much I wondered how I could still be walking.
“Keep walking. You're not gonna die or anything.” said my brother.
I relented, then finally let him take me by the waist. I felt like a football, but instead of being a hard, brown, normal football, I was a flat, white, absurd football. I felt moving, then a pause.
“Close your eyes!” My best friend screamed from where she stood, still rubbing sunscreen on her leg.
I closed my eyes. I felt moving again, this time faster and with more energy and momentum. Don't do it. Don't do it! My head screamed to me. But it was too late. The tight grip on my waist a few moments before was gone, and I was spinning through the air. I didn’t want to open my eyes to see where I was, afraid that any moment I would hit with a splash on the surface of the water that only yesterday seemed like paradise.. Bam! I felt the water surging around my head, just as I inhaled. I sank to the bottom of the pool, then in an instant, rose up again. My nose was full of water, and it had a tingly unpleasantness in it. I quickly got out of the pool and put on my towel.
“How was it? How was it?” my best friend pestered me.
“I didn’t like it. I was right. It wasn’t fun.” I replied.
“She’s just saying that because she knows we were right, and she doesn’t wanna admit it.” my brother said.
“No. I got water up my nose, and now I feel uncomfortable. I’m going to go paint bowls.” I replied crossly, tempted to choke my brother.
“Oh that happened to me the first time too. Just remember to hold your breath. Do you wanna try again? You should just try one more time. If you don’t like it this time, you can go paint bowls. I’ll even come with you!” she said.
“Fine. I'll go one more time.” I said, sighing.
I let my brother pick me up by the waist again. Knowing what was coming, I closed my eyes, held my breath, and waited for the release. Like the last time, I went soaring through the air. Bam! I hit the smooth glass-like surface. This time, no water went up my nose. This time, I didn’t get out of the water. This time, I enjoyed it!
“So? Did you like it?” my best friend pestered me again.
“Yeah. I hate to admit that you guys are right, but you are. It was actually really fun.” I replied, smiling, then laughing. “Come on! It's your turn!”
We spent the rest of the day being thrown into the water over and over and over again. It was one of the most memorable days of my life. At the time, I was afraid to take chances. From that experience, I learned that sometimes I’m wrong, and that’s fine. I also learned that it’s all right to take risks in life because, who knows, maybe you'll have the time of your life.

This was inspired by my trip to Cozumel in 2009. I had a lot of fun, and I don't want to forget it.