FLW Dreams | Teen Ink

FLW Dreams

By maysonblanck20 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
maysonblanck20 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When I first saw the title “Bird Box”, I thought “How dumb of an idea”, but when I started to hear people talk about it, good and bad, I decided to watch it. After watching it I realized what people mean when they say “ Don't judge a book by its cover”. “Bird Box” is one of the most thrilling and suspenseful movies I've ever seen, and I almost didn't watch it. The reasons the movie is so exciting and suspenseful is because of the following reasons: It is a genius concept for a movie, more parts than I can count that had me on the edge of my seat, and an ending that leaves us guessing.

When I watch “Bird Box” I can’t help but compare it to “A Quiet Place”. Both movies deal with the human senses, sight and hearing, and both have very similar concepts. Now the difference between the two movies is one is about a woman's journey and the other is about a family’s journey. A lot more happens with the woman's journey over time than a family's journey in a span of a month. “Bird Box” also goes more in-depth in the scenarios which throw more obstacles at the characters. Another thing that “Bird Box” has that “A Quiet Place” doesn't have is a more diverse cast. In “Bird Box” the cast is always butting heads and can never agree with each other which leads to big conflicts, which then later lead to death. In “A Quiet Place” it’s one family so no one really has a reason to butt heads and it is a lot less intense.

When I think of suspense I think of physically sitting on the edge of my seat, and this is what I was doing eighty-five percent of the movie. The movies nonlinear setup is suspenseful in every time it goes back and forth in time. “Bird Box” also presents scenes where everything seems to be going well, then, of course, a wrench gets thrown into the happiness. Overall the movie is just a series of suspenseful events that hit us out of nowhere and we don't know what to think about it. Also, there are parts that really confuse you and you think you’ve missed something, but then a minute or so later, that confusion is answered with something you weren't expecting.

And now, of course, the ending. From watching the movie leading to the ending we ’re are hoping for a happy ending where everything is resolved, right? Well yes, it is a happy ending, but nothing is solved. Malorie (Sandra Bullock) and her two “kids” venture down deadly rapids and miraculously make it out alive and make it to a college of the vision impaired, which makes sense, but they can't stay there forever and they can't leave to get supplies. To me, I was expecting there to be an ending where everything is solved and they can take their blindfolds off and see the world as is, but that is not what had happened. Then with that, this unsolving and suspenseful ending may mean there will be a “Bird Box 2”.

In conclusion, I learned a valuable lesson, never judge a movie by its title. I've never watched a movie with such a good concept and idea. The movie's suspense and change of events had me on the edge of my seat almost all movie. Then there was the ending, it was a happy ending which everyone wanted, but nothing was solved. And with nothing being

I love to Fish