My First Flight | Teen Ink

My First Flight

By ThatWriter BRONZE, Grimes, Iowa
ThatWriter BRONZE, Grimes, Iowa

I was in disbelief at the airport. I still couldn’t believe that we were going to Florida. I’ve never traveled to a state that was outside the border of Iowa, but now I’m almost ready to get on a plane.

This trip was family wide including my sister, Mom, Dad, my grandparents, my aunt, and I. We waited a long time in the waiting area for our aircraft to arrive. When the waiting was over, all of our seats were called and we rushed through the tubing that connected the airplane to the airport. My family traveled to our seats and put our winter coats and such down and got prepared for the flight.

I’ve never liked experiences where your gut spirals, spins and swerves all over the place. Unfortunately this was one of them. The airplane shot up into the sky and I held on to the seat for dear life not even noticing that I was the only one doing so. The plane straightened out and I calmed down.

To pass the time I skimmed some books and magazines, rested my eyes, and looked out of the window. It was really cool to see the ground from thousands of feet up in the air. The cars looked like little ants and buildings look miniscule compared to what they looked like on the ground. The cornfields and water forms created some really cool patterns that I wish I took a picture of at the time.

We were finally reaching our landing point in Orlando, Florida. By that time I was used to the flying sensation, and it was fun landing. The tubing stuff connected to the airport and we were ready to step on to Florida ground. Even in the tubing, we could feel the nice weather. We had reached our destination and my first plane ride was at its end.

This is the story about my first flight. I hope you enjoy it.