Overcome | Teen Ink

Overcome

Everyone has overcome a challenge in their life that were so big that it changed their life.
Maybe it was a fear of heights or deep dark water. Maybe it was riding a bike, walking to school
alone, or the loss of a family member. In the end the fear of heights was left, and the plane ride to Florida
became fun, the fear of deep water was replaced by fun sports to do on the surface. Everyone has an event
that they overcame; it changed them and gave them a new way to look at life. A diagnosis of Diabetes can
be frustrating, challenging and life changing, but like other challenges in life can be overcome.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was five years old, at that time I didn't think much of it.
I thought that it was just something else to do. It did not take long for me to not like the small
changes that I had to accomplish on an everyday basis. That no other kids had to think about, in
everyday life. The first changes were mainly at school. Walking down to the office for checks
and shots. This made my lunch hour short. Being late for lunch meant that there were no spots
left to sit next to my friends. Also there was no time to talk because there was barely enough
time to eat.

When I turned ten, my grandpa on both sides of my family started to try to get me to an insulin
pump. The pump is an alternate option for shots. At the time I was not liking the idea of changing
my life again, when I had just gotten used to the changing from my diagnoses at five. After a
year of this, I was told by a diabetic doctor that there is a pump training class next week. I ended
up going just what the pumps were like. That day changed my life I found out that the pump
made my life so much easier. Later that month, I got my first pump. Now, instead of missing out
on lunch I can check my meter at my locker and give my medicine from my pump. This helped
me get to lunch earlier and have more time to eat.

The changes that I had to overcome with diabetes make me who I am; it makes me stronger
in many ways. With my limited time with friends I have learned to cherish every second with
them. Diabetes has me looking at the world with different eyes. Before diabetes I used to put
aside work to do what I wanted to do. Not with diabetes, I have learned that putting
something aside can be life threatening. That alone has helped me focus on getting work done
to be with friends.

Everyone has something  that they want to overcame. It could be a fear, a diagnosis, or even the
loss of a family member or close friend. The challenge that I overcame was not something that I
always had. I was a normal kid until I was five. Now I can't even remember the times before I was
diagnosed. When I became a diabetic, I thought it made me weak. When in reality it made me a stronger
prison. This is who I am and I would never wish away what I have overcome.