Personal Challenges | Teen Ink

Personal Challenges

January 25, 2017
By Karma123 BRONZE, Clarkston, Georgia
Karma123 BRONZE, Clarkston, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Like my mom said, there are so many people living on this earth and all of them have their own views on what life means to them. I have my own views on what life means to me. In my view, life is learning processes. I have faced many challenges in the United States. Life in America was very tough and challenge for me and my family because of the new language, new culture and new rules and regulations. Also, people were made fun of me during class and laughed at me whenever I spoke English because of my accent. I still remember that embarrassing movement, it was the first day of school in the United States. it was in the second period, I got a pee really bad, I tried to tell teacher even though I didn’t really speak English but the teacher didn’t understand, but I kept tried to tell her three or four times but still she didn’t understand. fortunately, I had one friend in the classroom who came from the same country. She has been here for a long time. Obviously, she speaks English fluently. I told her that I got to pee, so then she translated to my teacher. Finally, teacher understood and I went to the restroom. I was very angry at myself and almost cry but at the same time, I was very happy because I didn’t have to hold for 90 minutes. I always wanted to speak English fluently like my friends. I knew it will be not easy. It required, practice, confident, and patient. I started to practice English by listening English songs, radios, started to having a conversation with American people. and watching English movies. After 6 months of hard work, I can speak English fluently and I have gained confident to speak with the teacher without hesitation.  Now, everyone understands my English clearly. I don’t have to repeat again and again. I don’t regret coming here to live in America. After so many years of suffering and misery leading lives as refugees, now I and my family have a chance to live in dignity.  Now I am in America where people can earn as much money as they want and every day thousands of jobs are available.  I have promised myself that I will go to school every day.  When I come to school, I will always learn something new and discover new things.  I will keep working hard toward my goals and for my family because I am in the strongest and most popular country in the world.