Road to Black Belt | Teen Ink

Road to Black Belt

By Hinal Patel BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Hinal Patel BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

“ Eye focus, body focus, mind focus,” we chanted. It was my first day of Taekwondo class. I didn’t know what to expect but I was really exited. The class started with some basic techniques: blocks, punches, and yelling, lots and lots of yelling. This was a new concept to me and I had trouble getting my voice out. After class, I saw some of the higher ranked belts. I envied their dedication and commitment. One day I will be just like them, I thought to myself. Little did I know that time would fly by.

Here I am, three years later getting ready for my black belt test. So what have I learned? I’ve learned that Taekwondo is more than just about fighting. I learned how to manage my time and most of all, I discovered my passion for martial arts.

My training in Taekwondo taught me that fighting is the absolute last option when it comes to real life situations. One should alway try to find a way to work things out before taking any physical action. This encouraged me to solve my own problems and even stand up for myself. I learned to become a mediator and help others as well.

My training also taught me how to manage my time. In between school, taekwondo, homework, and friends, I barely had any time for anything else. Not long after though, I learned how to manage my time and developed a sense of patience. Taekwondo has now become a way of releasing stress. I don’t think about anything but my training when I am in the doejang.

Lastly and most importantly, I discovered my passion for martial arts. Taekwondo was always something that interested me. After my first class, I knew that it was something I wanted to continue. From that day, I gave 110% whenever I was training. I also tried other forms of martial arts. I joined Kali, a Pilipino martial arts and became a member of the Demo Team. I can honestly say, that I have learned a lot from my experience in Taekwondo and martial arts, in general, but getting my black belt, is just the beginning of my training.

I wrote this as a part of my black belt project. I am totally exited for my test this November and Taekwondo has taught me so much.