BuddyBall | Teen Ink

BuddyBall

May 4, 2013
By Batzl BRONZE, New City, New York
Batzl BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Since the eighth grade I am volunteering for a non-profit organization called BuddyBall. BuddyBall provides the opportunity for mentally and physically disabled children to play sports. This program helps these children make new friends and improve their social skills. It also gives them the opportunity to be part of a group. BuddyBall offers eight weeks of soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, and track & field in the spring. This organization provides children with a sports experience they would not have anywhere else.

My job as a volunteer is to be a player’s buddy. I accompany a player through drills, games and help them stay focused and have fun. I volunteered two years ago during the winter basketball season and was a buddy for a ten year old named Patrick, who was on the autism spectrum. Patrick was a pretty good basketball player, but each week, Patrick would get upset if he missed a shot or made a bad pass. Patrick would begin to cry and wouldn’t want to play anymore. He would let his frustration get the best of him. After being his buddy for eight weeks and helping him improve his basketball skills, he became more confident and rarely got upset. He was a great kid and really enjoyed having me as his buddy. I really enjoyed watching him get better and have fun playing the sport he loves.

I returned to volunteering at BuddyBall for the track season last spring. I was a buddy for a boy named Jason, who was autistic and had very little speech. He was very wild at times and got easily distracted, but he still enjoyed participating in each activity. His mother personally thanked me for being his buddy and told me how much it meant to them. Hearing those words made me realize how important my volunteer work was for Jason and his family. It made me reflect on how fortunate I am to play the sports I love at a high level. I hope Jason had as much fun participating in BuddyBall Track & Field as I do when I play sports.

I continued to volunteer for BuddyBall during the soccer season this past fall. I was a buddy for a player named Jake. Jake has little to no language, uncontrollable muscle movements, and has a habit of running away. I learned how to work with Jake, get him to participate in the soccer drills, and participate in the games. Even though he doesn’t always pay attention to the instructors, he still performs well and has a good time. His parents are very grateful to see their son playing sports and socializing with other players. As difficult as it was to accompany Jake, I realized how tough it must be for his parents to raise their disabled child.

BuddyBall is a great organization. It gives disabled children a chance to have a sports experience like most other kids. No player feels embarrassed because of their disabilities since everyone there has a disability. The kids also feel a sense of accomplishment when they play well and it helps them gain confidence and self-esteem. I love to volunteer at BuddyBall because I love to play sports, but more importantly I enjoy seeing every kid with a big smile on their face and having fun playing sports with one another.


The author's comments:
I hope people will realize that as bad as things can get, just remember how fortunate and lucky you are to have what you have in your life.