Water Polo | Teen Ink

Water Polo

By Gabriel Bruner BRONZE, Greenwood, Indiana
Gabriel Bruner BRONZE, Greenwood, Indiana

Baseball, basketball, and football these are a few examples of well-known sports globally. But, there are a massive amount of sports that don’t have a great amount of notice around the world. This essay is about one of those sports. The sport I am speaking of is Water Polo. That’s right, the sport straight from Great Britain. I saw this game in the last Olympics and I enjoyed it so I thought I would write about it.

I would like to start my research out with the creator of this fine sport. This man goes by the name of William Wilson. Another fact of this sport’s origin is it started sometime in the late 19th century. The sport originated in England and Scotland. Also Water Polo was the first team sport in the Olympics. To add on to that, the first Olympic appearance for Water Polo was 1900.

Now, on to the details of the traces of this sport. The very earliest we saw this sport was British men playing a rugby-like game in streams, lakes, and rivers. The ball they used was a leather soccer ball. The ball was later converted into a rubber fabricated one. Another fact about Water Polo is it was first introduced to the United States in 1888. This was around 10 years after it was first a sport.

The final part of Water Polo you should know about is the international league and competition. The first teams to compete against each other were Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, Hungary, and Italy. Later in 1973 the sport became more organized and every two to four years since 1973 there is a Men’s Water Polo Championship. Starting in 1986 the Women’s Water Polo Championship was created. The first men’s team champion was the men from Hungary. The first women’s champion was the women from Australia.

In conclusion these unknown sports have a very deep history to them. Also, these sports have come a long way since their beginnings. I wrote this because I wanted to learn more about these sports that aren’t known as well. One more part is I encourage you to watch water polo in the next Olympics. That is my essay on water polo.

on Mar. 28 2019 at 1:39 pm
sarahkelly BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
I play water polo and I love it!!!