Poodle or Bulldog | Teen Ink

Poodle or Bulldog

By nickstricker11 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
nickstricker11 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

“We gotta lot of guys that can throw, but we need guys that can pitch” those are some famous word by Todd Allen Parola and are quite frequently said too. Meaning that a lot of people can throw a ball, but he’s looking for people that know how to pitch. He is about 5’6”, short brown hair, athletic and famous for his special quotes. He grew up in Grayslake attending Grayslake North High school as the top baseball player in his class and then moving on to Indiana University to continue his career as a ball player. Mr. Parola has been my baseball coach for about 2 years now, but he has been inspiring me for 8 years now knowing him though baseball camps, and being friends with his youngest son Brett Parola, but not only that, he is a teacher, a role model and a hard worker in my eyes and to many others.

“Look them in the eye and tell them good game because they sure had one.” Mr. Parola is a teacher to everyone one the team. He teaches us etiquette, how to play baseball and how to be a person as well. After every game win or lose he tells us to respect the other team and not be a sore loser or winner because you will lose some and you will win some. I remember this one time we had to run because we lost a baseball to teach us that we need to be held accountable for what we use and to respect the school’s property. He teaches us how to play baseball properly. Not to cheat or lie but to do everything right so we can win or go out with a fight.

“Sticker we're gonna take 15 swings, not 14, not 13, not 12, but 15 u hear me?”

“Yes coach”

He holds us accountable for what we need to do when we need to do it. Mr. Parola has taught me a lot in the 4 years I’ve known him, and thats why I look up to him with many more knowledge to receive.

Mr. Parola didn't have everything he wanted, but he is one of the hardest workers I know. Growing up in Grayslake isn't the glamorous life, no maids, no fancy cars and no Mansions. He had what he had. Although he had a successful career at indiana university for all four years he played ball there, but he had to work for it and It didn’t come easy. Practicing and working out everyday still didn't get im that full ride every boy dreams of. Instead he goes into indiana as a walk on and has to work his way up the ranks. After playing his butt off and becoming a more rounded player for two years, he received a scholarship from Indiana also becoming a captain through hard work, determination and skill. His hard work has brushed on to everyone he encounters because he pushes us until we get to where we want to be. “Gotta be a bulldog you know what I’m saying? Not a poodle.” Frequently said word by himself to let us know he have to work harder to become the best we came be. Even today he does drills with us like hitting, fielding and running bases drills  and works out with us for our varsity baseball workout after school for an hour 3 days a week with us because he is still trying to become better. He is a hard working man.

Mr. Parola is an all out role model to all students and people. “Go go go go go” he says as he's waving his arms  like he's coaching third waving in a runner for the winning run at state. I remember watching this experience last year during swim gym in P.E. freshman boys. We were in the pool the usual, good swimmers in deep end non swimmers in the shallow. One day Parola told the non swimmers they were going to jump in the deep end and swim a lap, and everyone listened to him because they trusted him. Everyone was scared and thought they were going to drown. Everyone struggled through it but I remember the last kid wouldn't even get in the water. Once Parola talked to him he finally got in he could barely make it without letting go of the wall. He makes an agreement with the kid that if he gets it without touching the wall we’d have freeday. Everyone gets to the edge of the pool cheering him on, but parola goes farther. He’s screaming, he's cheering and he wants him to make it. Flailing his arms so fast and screaming so loud he started to work up a sweat. You could see in his eyes that he wanted him to make it. As soon as he touches the wall, Parola grabs him by the arms picks him out of the pool and starts screaming “Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!” I remember having a big smile on my face watching this knowing Parola just made his day by making him feel as special as he did making that lap. Parola is someone I can look up to. Someone that everyone can look up to.

Mr. Parola isn't all work, he knows us all and he tries to become friends with us and he makes us laugh. He taught us how to be people. He wants us to work as hard as we can. He works his butt of to make us succeed and become better. He makes us look up to him even if he doesn't want us to or thinks he doesn't deserve it due to his modesty. He makes me want to do the best I can and makes me push myself when he’s not around to. He has made a big impact in my life, he made me the baseball player I am today, but also the person I am off the diamond. He makes me swim my laps and I am thankful for that. He is a ball player, a teacher, a role model and a hard worker, but also my baseball coach.

about my baseball coahc