what my name means to me | Teen Ink

what my name means to me

By 5shaffer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5shaffer BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

The name "Rylan" has its origins in Old English, coming from the elements "ryge," meaning "rye," and "land," signifying "land" or "territory." Therefore , the name can be interpreted to mean "rye land" or "land of rye." This meaning reflects the agricultural practices  of ancient times, where the farming of rye was common.

Understanding the meaning of my name serves as a connection to my background and family history. My family immigrated from Poland during World War 1. They came through Ellis Island and had little to no belongings and hoped to create a better future. My great great grandfather was a rye farmer in Poland and started farming again when they arrived in America.It allowed them to get money and start a new life. 

My family no longer farms but reflecting on the history in my name prompts a sense of gratitude for the heritage it represents. It shows the importance of acknowledging family and cultural legacies, and contributes to a deeper appreciation of my origin and identity. 

Every time I hear my name I can't help but to think back to my great great grandparents working hard on the farm to help make a better life for their kids .I can imagine the trees dancing in the wind , the sun smiling down , and the rye crops shimmering like gold with a little house up on a hill where they lived. Little did my great-great-grandparents know how their hard work and sacrifice would impact generations to come in our family.

I did this as a school project