Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such A Rise In Popularity Today | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such A Rise In Popularity Today

By bdickson13 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
bdickson13 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Every person has their own idea for what a perfect world would look like. Some peoples perfect world, would end up being so perfect. It would turn into a dystopia. A dystopia is an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. These type of stories are becoming more and more popular. Some of those reasons are.

A big reason why people like Harrison Bergeron is because they can relate between the world Harrison lives in and the world they live it. “And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains.” They have noises in people’s ears to make them equal. Which shows technological control. In the world we live in today the technology controls us through the tv and other pieces like our phones. “And George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at all times.” This shows how their government controls them, and a lot of places in the world have very controlling governments.

Readers like to read The Veldt because it allows them to escape the reality that they know. “You know very well what he’d want.” His wife was standing in the middle of the kitchen watching the stove busy humming to itself, making supper for four. This quote shows that this story is places in the future where there are houses that take care if its self and the family inside of it. A reader might wanna live a life like this and would want to read it. “This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach was sensed by a hidden switch and the nursery light turned on when they came within ten feet of it. Similarly, behind them, in the halls, lights went on and off automatically as they left them behind.” This quote shows that they have a home that takes care of them for them and some people would like to live in a world like that and it would let them escape their reality.

Ten with a Flag is a great dystopian story because it offers the readers new possibilities.  “The steering wheel folded and collapsed into the dash, and he turned to face me.” This gives the person new possibilities by them reading about self driving cars. “As such, the state has raised both your rating to eight, effective immediately, Congratulations.” This shows the reader a possibility where your social class can be raised if your baby’s future is bright.

Dystopian Stories are growing at huge rate for many reasons including that the stories offer new possibilities, allowing readers to escape their known reality, and being able to relate to the dystopia with their own world. If you want to know anymore about dystopia and this genre I recommend that you read some of these stories.