The Story of My Name | Teen Ink

The Story of My Name

My name is Mara. And I love it! When I was a child I always dreamed of having a more common name like all of my friends had, I was also sick of having to constantly spell out my name and pronounce it for people and to this day I still get a little annoyed when people pronounce it wrong because it is only for letters long. As a teenager, I like my name and get many compliments because of it. I've met one other Mara in my life. I Am glad that my mother choose such a unique and pretty name for me. I also think that my name happens to fit me very well, it is short and sweet just like I am. While my mother was in labor she came up with my name while she was watching a soap opera. My mom was in labor for 22 hours so she had plenty of time to think the name through, and when I was born she looked at me and decided that the name Mara was the perfect fit for me!

The name Mara has many different meanings for a variety of different cultures. In Latvian mythology, Mara is the highest god a Hindu goddess of destruction, death, winter and the moon. Of the Hebrew origin its meaning is “bitter” or “sorrow” the name Mara is an expressions of grief after the death of a loved one. The name Mara is also a Gaelic for the word sea, and in Italian the meaning of the name is bitter. Despite all of the different meanings and definitions that come with the name Mara, Mara will always be the short four letter word that is unique to me.

The name Mara ranks as the 67 most popular girl name in Germany, the 480th most popular girl name and the 812th most popular name in the U.S. Although the name is not very popular, there are some very popular and famous people that have this name such as Mara Wilson, Mara Corday and Mara Darmousli. Mara Wilson is an American writer and and former child actress, she is most famous for her role in Miracle on 34th Street. Mara Corday is a model and actress from the 1950s. And Mara Darmousli is a Greek former fashion model. Overall I believe that the name Mara is a very unique name that is fit for me.