Child Discipline | Teen Ink

Child Discipline

May 24, 2019
By tmariem BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
tmariem BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Over the years there have been significant changes on the subject of disciplinary methods for children. Back then, schools had methods that would induce fright and most inappropriate behaviors would be dealt with in this manner. According to an article titled “A Violent Education” by Human Rights Watch as of August 19, 2008, classes would be seen as a whole who needed to be “kept in line”. This would lead to numerous teachers abusing corporal punishment while children had to suffer any consequences that a rose from said teachers discipline method. Nowadays schools treat children as individuals and look at their background which may affect how they learn as well as their behavioral skills. In short, schools have changed their ways of discipline dramatically but does that entail the same for disciplining children?

Back in the 1950s children had to stand up when an adult would enter the room including the child’s parent. Leaving the dinner table with permission first was necessary and if the words “please” and “thank you” were used incorrectly, adults would remind them of their rudeness. Often it would be regarded as strict, harsh, and oppressive. In today’s mindset many people will look back on these methods today and think of them as being unfair, though elders that look back on it may think differently. Some might think that today’s children lack morals and are often considered to be more disrespectful and ill-mannered, so it is decided by some people that we can learn a few lessons from the 1950s like general respect. So how do people today discipline those disrespectful behaviors, and what methods have which effect on them.

According to studies children who were spanked frequently were at a higher risk for mental health problems, such as anxiety or depression to alcohol or drug abuse. Parents who would hit their children regularly would likely develop distant parent-child relationships later on, and children who are spanked regularly are more likely to be aggressive as a child and an adult. Spanking is often used to put an immediate stop to a child’s behavior. Children will learn to associate this behavior with power and use these interactions over another person like bullying and partner abuse.

Children learn how to behave by the adults around them. Their day will have a similar pattern to it and they will feel safe by knowing the order of events and predicting what will happen next. Explaining things to a child in a way that matches their development level will help solve the underlying problems. A few of the positive discipline strategies that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend are time-outs, setting limits, and catch them while they are being good. Timeouts are useful when a specific rule is being broken, working best when warning children they will get a time out if they don’t stop their behavior. Catching them while they are being good will let them know when they are do something bad and what they are doing well.

There are many ways of discipling a child but some ways are more beneficial than the other as seen in the previous paragraph. It should also be taken into account that discipline is necessary. Without it, children would lack self-discipline, respect for others, cooperation with peers, and many more. A child without discipline may have difficulty making friends and those around them might see them as unpleasant company. Parents may stray away from this because they want to avoid having conflict or have their child be angry at them, but as many might think discipline is not about creating conflict with a child or lashing out in anger. Teaching them right from wrong will give a sense of positive and negative behavior. This will then lead to wanting to behave correctly for the sake of being a good citizen and not the fear of punishment.

In short, yes, discipline is necessary. Keyword discipline not punishment, as punishment can have long lasting effects on the child in the nearby years to come. It is best to stray away from punishments like spanking and instead using alternatives such as timeouts, setting limits, and emotional coaching. Using these methods can ensure a future where a child can avoid bullying and power. We want what is best for children and this is an excellent way to establish that.