TO FEEL FREE OR TO FEEL BOUND TO.... | Teen Ink

TO FEEL FREE OR TO FEEL BOUND TO....

December 16, 2020
By kweil BRONZE, New York, New York
kweil BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never say you can't, never limit yourself, and never stop believing.


Going for a walk is my favorite medicine. When the sun is shining and the birds are singing, there's nothing I'd rather do than wander through the streets of New York City. Walking clears my mind, making room for new thoughts and allowing me to leave my worries behind. With each step, my clean, white sneakers stain--but I don't mind. I'm mindful of my surroundings. I look left and see the rodent crawling down the subway stairs. I look right and see the man on the corner, screaming, "Get your hot pretzels!" As I walk, I exhale my anxiety and inhale my community's tireless energy. I stroll by a homeless man begging for money and an elaborately dressed woman hailing a yellow taxi. The contrast is refreshing. I glide down Madison Avenue, shopping the windows of glamorous designer stores. I cut through Central Park until I arrive at the reservoir, circling the peaceful water and staring at mirror images of skyscrapers. As I walk, my phone remains tucked in my pocket on "do not disturb." Instead, I take in the construction, traffic, and cool breeze. The hustle and bustle of the city soothes my soul, and with every step, I feel free.


"Beep! Beep! Beep!" I'm a slave to my alarm clock, especially on days when I'm up in the middle of the night counting sheep. At 7:45 AM, the clock shrieks. My alarm works against my natural body clock, pulling me out of peaceful sleep before I'm ready to wake. I'm angry; the repeated buzzing interrupted my dream. I'm in a constant battle with my snooze button. Will an extra few minutes suffice, or is it time to get myself up for school? The guilt hangs over my shoulders as I repeatedly press snooze. I feel like a failure, starting my day with no willpower. The snooze button wins with a score of 3-0; however, before it can score again, I must get up. I know my morning routine will be rushed. The bright light shines through my white window shades. I’ve barely slept, and my eyelids feel heavy like bricks. Let's face it: I'm not an early riser, let alone a morning person. On the weekends I can sleep till noon. My bed is comfortable, and it begs me to stay put. It's time for school, and I curse at the clock. I can't wait for Saturday!