Girls + Boys = Learning? | Teen Ink

Girls + Boys = Learning?

By Chapis BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
Chapis BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona

“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” — The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

“Separate classrooms for boys and girls can improve their learning.” I disagree with this statement and do not believe that having both genders together affects how we learn or how much we could learn. In the New York Times article, “Does Separating Boys and Girls Help Students Perform Better in School” by Michael Gonchar, it mentions "Critics say that there is little evidence of substantial differences in brain development between boys and girls." If there is almost no difference then why should the genders be separate? The article also said, "dividing children by gender can reinforce entrenched stereotypes." This can be a very big issue because either gender can be prejudiced against the other growing up not seeing the other as equal.

When we separate kids in classes by gender, we are enforcing stereotypes. By having classes decorated differently, having posters and different rules like “Act pretty at all times!" can make kids feel insecure about themselves if they don't like what other girls like, or if they don’t like what other boys like. They would try to change themselves to fit in with society. As you can see, this will not only diminish their growth academically, but more importantly, it will change them and take away their individuality. Kids should not be taught to fit into a stereotype or be prejudiced by separating them. Yet that's exactly what they are learning to do.

Some children enjoy things that the opposite gender does. The news story also says that in the male classes the teachers incorporate “sports” and games into the lesson, because they enjoy the “competition.” Objects and activities should not be marked by gender. Having this in mind, there can be girls that don’t enjoy the walls with “zebra and cheetah prints,” and “bright pink caddies.” Some girls can relate more to sports and competition while some boys might enjoy the “pink caddies.” Because of this, instead of helping students improve, having these decorations might do the opposite and be ineffective as well as unproductive, instead of helpful. Separating boys and girls can create horrendous results in the future, and could be the root of a sexist environment when growing up.

School is a crucial part of a child's life and shapes how they see society and the world around them. If we separate kids based on their gender and tell them it is because they are different, they will think they are different. Your gender doesn't influence how well you can do in school or how much you can achieve. All students have different learning types and paces. Girls and boys should learn how to work with each other and see each other as equals. Growing up with people who are different from you is fundamental, and helps the development of social skills. Taking away that opportunity to work with others can decrease their ability to adapt to different environments.

Therefore, I do not believe “Separate classrooms for boys and girls” will benefit students in any way, it will only encourage prejudice, segregation, and false stereotypes.

We should be ourselves. Don't let the world tell what you should or shouldn't be.