Dear Mr. Armstrong | Teen Ink

Dear Mr. Armstrong

Dear Mr. Armstrong,

What did you mean when you said that you took one small step for man, one large leap for mankind? Besides the obvious, of course. You, yourself, didn’t take the leap for mankind. Just because you were there to walk on the moon, does it mean you did all of the work?

Truly, life is a collective effort, and the scientists that made the rocket that you traveled on made up most of that effort. I’m not saying it’s wrong for you to feel proud, no, it’s quite right for you to feel that way. I’m saying that you have to take into account the effort put in by other people who lifted you up into the sky. I believe that you’re an inspiration for all of those kids out there who dream of being an astronaut, traveling the stars and discovering planets long dead. But the builders, the mathematicians, the astrophysicists; they also are ones to be inspirations. Maybe when those kids grow up, when they get to a point that they have to find a job, find a place to work, they look behind the scenes of the cosmos, and realize that nothing is possible without people who do calculations, people who learned how to engineer, people who are considered ‘not attention-worthy', compared to the astronaut.  

Just like me. 

-Anonymous

I want to be an astrophysicist, but I feel like they don't always get as much recognition as an astronaut. I'm not sure why I wrote this, but I guess that it's just a vent letter.