Definition of love | Teen Ink

Definition of love

Love has multiple definitions and is used in multiple ways. It's always said that there are two main definitions for love, lustful love and true emotional love. It's difficult for us as humans to differentiate between them though. It gets confusing sometimes. We don't know if what we are feeling is true emotional love or lustful love towards someone. Especially for us as teens, we don't understand who, or what we are yet. As teens we are still trying to find everything out. We also aren't sure what we can become as well. We can obtain and handle so much more than what others think we can. With love we don't know how much we can give towards a person. The issue with us, is that they don't want to give that love and get hurt or just not get the love back. We have given so much love and affection and got torn apart, we gave that love to the wrong person. The thing we don't understand is that we give and give and give and sometimes we don't need all of that back. Why? Love is an emotion that can be defined by an intense feeling of affection. We can give it and not get it back, or not know if we are getting it back or not. Each person expresses their love differently. We don't always understand why, but that's normal, the true issue is how we can react to that. We just break down because someone ‘broke our heart’ but in reality no one can break our heart unless we allow them. 

I learned that in life I shouldn't open up or give too much that I can't gain back eventually. I had a rough childhood that did not consist of love so when I actually felt it as a teen I wanted it from people I didn't really love. I wanted to get that love from anyone who gives it back. It was bad because those people didn't really love me. I realized those people wanted more than my love and affection. They felt lust, they wanted pieces of me I couldn't give. It was hard to find the other more meaningful type of love. Love is love, you define love for yourself. My definition of love is a strong affection that can last eternity. If I truly love someone I would definitely take a bullet for them without a doubt. Your definition of love is different from your neighbor's definition of love and it also differs from religion to religion and relationship to relationship and sexuality to sexuality. It's not because your neighbor defines love a certain way that you have to love that way. You can love the way you want to love.