The Benefits of Medical Marijuana. | Teen Ink

The Benefits of Medical Marijuana.

By Keiras06 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Keiras06 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The story of Ashley Surin from 7 Inspiring Medical Marijuana Stories at The Herbal Clinic, MD in 2022. Ashley Surin suffers from very dangerous seizures. In school Ashley got them and they eventually told her she couldn’t come back. The seizures only happened because the school wouldn't allow her  CBD patches or hemp lotion that she used as her medicine to stop the seizures. 

Her medicine also caused her to get terrible mood swings so they did lots of therapy to get over and work through them. The therapy worked and eventually, the mood swings stopped. Ashley’s family went to court against the school for not letting her go due to her seizures. The family won and Ashley was eventually able to go back to school.

Medical marijuana has many benefits. There are a few things that make a difference when it comes to getting it and using it. Everybody goes through using medical marijuana differently. There are main things you need to look at when getting medical marijuana. There is a long process, The fact it does not work for everyone and things it helps with but it also has side effects. I will be talking about the process of getting medical marijuana first.

First up is what people have to go through to get it. The MN Department Of Health at health.state.mn.us by MN Department Of Health in 2022. The long process includes five steps. Contacting a Health Care Provider, Waiting for Health Care Practitioner Certification, Register Online, Visit a Medical Cannabis Dispensary and Fill Out Self-Evaluation Form. Those are the five steps needed to complete which take time and patients.  This process can take up to six months or more. The reason this process is good is that it stops people from getting it and lying about

having a medical condition that they need it for.  This can also be bad because of how long the process takes it may not help once the patient gets it. This is because their condition could’ve gotten so much worse since they first started the process of getting medical marijuana.  The process for medical marijuana is the first thing but whether it works or not is the next.

People always wonder how well medical marijuana works. Medical Marijuana by Peter Grinspoon at Harvard health school in April of 2020 has lots of details on medical marijuana. It says that medical marijuana is used mainly for pain control. Medical Marijuana is very effective when it comes to reducing pain for people. Medical Marijuana can be very hard to work with because you’re never gonna know if it’ll work or not. It is mainly fifty percent of it working and fifty percent of it not. They haven’t had enough research done on medical marijuana to know who they should use it for. Like I said before, it works really well for pain so if in any way the patient is in pain the doctors recommend trying medical marijuana. People are glad it works for pain but don’t because it doesn’t always work. Now onto how side effects of medical marijuana. 

Lastly, Medical Marijuana helps with a lot of things but also has lots of side effects. Medical marijuana by Mayo Clinic in 2021 has lots of facts on what it helps with and the side effects that can happen.  There are tons of illnesses that medical marijuana helps with. Some of the many are Alzheimer's, AIDS, HIV, cancer, epilepsy, and seizures.  Those are just a few illnesses that medical marijuana can help with. The downside to medical marijuana is the side effects it can have. Some side effects are increased heart rate, dizziness, potential addiction, and many more. Doctors say the most common side effect is addiction. This is due to the fact that people are using drugs but

doctors see addiction with many other medications. Side effects can be very dangerous. You need to watch for any side effects you may have when taking medical marijuana. It helps with things but can also be dangerous. 

In conclusion, there is a long five-step process for getting medical marijuana. That it doesn't work for everyone and is really good for pain. That it works for lots of illnesses but comes with dangerous side effects. There are many things to look for when getting into medical marijuana. Medical marijuana has many benefits but also some no good things that come with it. The story of Ashley Surin will show you just what it’s like to go through trying to use it in school. I hope that this gave a little more information on medical marijuana.