Should Polaris Go Electric? | Teen Ink

Should Polaris Go Electric?

By GriffBanks BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
GriffBanks BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I happen to own a Polaris sportsman 550 and I have come back from riding on trails with barely any gas left so if it were a battery I don't think I would've made it back.  I think Polaris is a great brand and it has lots of business. But if they make them electric I do not plan on buying another one of their products, and I'm sure a lot of other people would do the same thing. The only time I will buy it is if it is a part for my four wheeler.  So I don't think Polaris should go electric because of all the differences it would make. Throughout this essay will be talking about batteries/mileage, power, and public views.

First, Is the batteries and mileage. I think that the batteries are bad because there is a long wait while they are charging. The batteries last a lesser amount of time than gas as well. According to Ezra Dyer on December 1st, 2021 at caranddriver.com it says; “the battery will only go 45-80 miles per charge”. But my four wheeler can last a little over 100 miles per tank of gas. Plus it costs almost double for the electric vehicles than gas-powered. If the battery dies while driving on a road/trail or doing work then you’ll have to find a way to get it charged or tow it and people might see stories about that and then not want to buy it. Also if you’re a trail rider my guess is there will not be any chargers on trails so if it dies well then there is not much to do besides tow it or something. Nobody will want to wait for the side by side to charge, especially because other vehicles can just fill up with gas or diesel which only takes a couple of minutes. Then there's the power.

Second, Is the power of the vehicle. I think the power would be a lot less in an electric vehicle because it doesn't have all the things that gas power does. Plus In cold places the batter will not work as well, Due to below freezing temperatures because those two components do not have a good history together. Also, the price of the normal battery one is $24,999 and the better battery is closer to $30,000.  This means someone could waste their money on that other than buying a nice car or even a few decent condition cars. Depending on what battery is purchased the speed maximum might be less if it is battery powered rather than gas. Although with the good battery it has 110 HorsePower torque at 140 foot-pounds and according to Cody Hooper at utvdriver.com on September 6th, 2021 “2022 Polaris Ranger 1000” says that the  2022 Polaris ranger 1000  only has 82 HorsePower and torque at 55 foot-pounds. So I guess that is a good thing about it.  But people may not like it.

Third, is public views and/or customers. I believe that Polaris will lose lots of customers because a lot of farmers or people with a lot of land would rather have gas because it's a lot faster to deal with. Although gas is probably more expensive, I think it is the better option because it's fast to deal with. I also think that some trail riders or just people, in general, enjoy Polaris for the sounds they make but if they make it electric it won't be loud and people wouldn't like that and I bet some people wouldn't even buy it. People also may not like it because it is about two times the price of the 2022 Polaris ranger 1000. Another thing about the public views is that many people do not know about the brand they are partnering with. I am a Polaris user and I know nothing about the brand “ZERO”.

In conclusion, I think that Polaris should not go electric because of most of the features on other electric vehicles and Polaris's previous electric vehicles. Also because of the people around the world's views because some people don’t like certain things and lots of people like Polaris how they are now.  Most people aren't used to big changes like going electric. Lots of people also do not know about the brand they are partnering with “ZERO”. Some of the things about the new side by side are poorly made like the batteries and prices for them. Those are some of my reasons why I will not buy any more Polaris vehicles again. So I think Polaris should NOT go electric.