Why you should run more often | Teen Ink

Why you should run more often

By IsaacA BRONZE, Cannon Falls Mn, Minnesota
IsaacA BRONZE, Cannon Falls Mn, Minnesota

I have always enjoyed running mostly because of the people I get to run with, and because I have the endurance needed to run. I absolutely love running because of the goal to beat my past records and to push myself. The main reason is to see where I began and where I am now. This season during cross country I got into varsity and had to run my first ever 5k in competition. I got 24:42, and I worked my ass off the rest of the season getting better and better. Near the end of the season I was running an average of 22 minutes, but at the meet that meant the most to me that would decide the rest of my season I almost got under 20 minutes. Meaning within a week of preparation for this meet I shaved 2 minutes off my best time. The reason I enjoy running is to see the change in myself, and the change in my peers. That's why I decided to choose this as my topic, so I’m going to be talking about why you should/shouldn’t run; even if it's just 10-15 minutes, and my opinion on the topic.

First is the reasons why you should/shouldn’t run a lot. According to Very Well Fit in an article titled “Should you be running every day?” published August 2 2019 by Christine Luff, says “Running every day might reduce your risk of certain diseases. But it can also lead to injuries and general wear and tear on your feet, legs, and joints, affecting your overall health and your performance.” If you run more than 30 miles a week it will increase your chance of getting an acute injury, which will over time give you shin splints, stress fractures along with other injuries. The injuries that you get from running at some points doesn’t hurt a lot, and there are other days that it hurts so bad you need to take the day off. 

Maybe that's a sign you should run less, well here’s the reasons why you should/shouldn’t run; even if it's just 10-15 minutes. In an article by Ochsnerlg titled “The Effects of Running on the Body: Good or Bad?” published on march 11th 2019 by Lafayette General Orthopedic Hospital, says “Some studies show that excessive running can increase the risk of heart disease.” If you stop running your weight may increase, and your thoughts about yourself may take a turn for the worst. According to EatThis,NotThat! in an article titled “ 5 Major Effects of Exercising Just 15 Minutes Per Day, Says Science” published September 24, 2021 by John Anderer, explains that only 15 minutes of running everyday can reduce your risk of depression by 26%, and your chance of a heart attack decreases by 35-55%.

Which are some of the reasons why I think you should always run at least 10-15 minutes a day, because if you don’t your heart and bones can become weak and will become a problem in your future. If you don’t run you have a 26% higher chance of getting depression, your chances of getting a heart attack decrease by 35-55%. You have a less likely chance of developing cancer, and it keeps you healthy. It doesn’t have to be a pain to run, it can be fun. If you have one of your friends or a family member run with you it makes it a lot more fun and easier; it's also a way to stay accounted for and to make sure you're doing your exercise. If you can’t timing yourself every once in a while is a great way to see improvement in yourself. 

In conclusion I think that you should run, that running a lot can be bad for your health if you aren’t doing it properly, and that even if you just run for 10-15 minutes a day it can dramatically improve your health. If this did convince you to start running maybe I’ll see you out on the track, and have fun trying to beat my best time.

I'm a 14 year old boy that runs a lot, and wanted to share with you why you should too.