Friends | Teen Ink

Friends

November 8, 2022
By Anonymous

Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. The wind runs in through the open windowsill. However, we were fine in the kitchen: my cousin and I. We had warmth. Warmth from the boiling pot on top of a portable stove. Inside were noodles and seasoning packets. We ate well and talked lots. We talked on topics we never brought up with anyone else. We were close friends. Sometimes we’d enjoy the world, smiling back at the bright sun. And sometimes we’d enjoy the silence to distance ourselves from others. Sincerely, I thought that everything would be okay.


But over time, we isolated ourselves from each other. The pandemic occurred. With online school coming in, and her continuous busy nights, we gradually separated. Even with the pandemic getting better, we lost interest in the process. We’d spend holiday dinners together with family, but no words came out of our mouths. I shout in my head, telling myself to go up to her. Will she recognize me? What if she’s changed? Should I even talk to her? Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. The wind entered back through the same windowsill. A crowd of thoughts filled my head.


Building up enough courage, I walked over. Surprisingly, we got along. My face goes bright, as we talk about when we were younger. She never forgot. I never forgot. Being stuck in the pandemic reminded us of real quality time. I realized maybe everything would be okay. Whether you’re parting from them, or they’re parting from you, your happiest moments stay with you.


The author's comments:

My set piece is about cousins that used to be close friends. But after the pandemic hit, they lost interest in continuing their friendship. Over time they move on but still share their memories before the pandemic. In my set piece, I try to use personification, where the writer gives inanimate objects or ideas, human traits, like the weather or a feeling. I use it at the beginning of my set piece, "The wind runs in through the open windowsill". I also try onomatopoeia, where a word can be written the same as it sounds spoken aloud. I try to write wind aloud as "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh". I also try to use 1st person point of view, using "I" while reading my set piece.