Does technology make people more introverted than extroverted? | Teen Ink

Does technology make people more introverted than extroverted?

I believe that it does both. It makes introverts more isolated in technology but with other people it could make them more extroverted to hang out with friends and more. Because of multiple reasons such as that with people who are introverted that now have a medium to interact with other people and not have to show their face and also empowers people to make strikes in today's society and introverts make great leaders and communicators. Rapid technological progression and enhanced accessibility of social media have changed the way introverts and extroverts interact with the online environment. But in what way? The online city of social media that never sleeps is making it easier for introverts to communicate with extroverted friends. 

Technology has handed them a mask on a silver platter to conceal their identity and influence others into thinking they are someone they’re not. Technology has changed the way introverts engage with new communication methods first with the telephone, voicemail, then mobile phones and now always-on social media. Who said you’ve got to leave the house to be social? Online engagement also allows an introvert to construct a well thought-out response without the pressure of thinking on the spot like they would in a face-to-face discussion. As this article written by Allen gunkhole “ introverts would feel more comfortable to be social. It becomes a tool that helps them be social and change how they engage with others.” This shows that social media impacts introverts in a good way and that allows themselves to express without showing who they are in person but through text or media apps instead.

In extroverted technology has helped them connected more with people and have more social friends in groups or people they fit in by showing things they like or connecting with them in ways that they the extroverted likes in common. With social media becoming more and more about sharing information, ideas, and opinions, it’s no surprise that extroverts who naturally love talking aloud what’s in their heads and love interacting with new ideas will excel at sharing content and information. If you equate communication with extemporaneous speaking, it would hold that extroverts would be better communicators than introverts. But communication is more than a great conversation. Having spent all their lives speaking in small talk, nobody knows better than an extrovert how to communicate passionately and hold attention through hand stories and moments that matter, a great skill to have in an era of information overload.

The best way to know that technology helps introverts and extroverts is to think and have conversations with them and get your own opinion about them and the way they acted in person than on media apps like Facebook or other apps. Also think about why they acted and how they perceive others in ways that matter to them or give details to it. 

I related to this article because I'm a introverted and technology has allowed to text friends and family with ease compared to talking and has made me more outgoing.