Truth | Teen Ink

Truth

By 5jonesm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5jonesm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Do you ever feel like all eyes are on you? Or in an argument with someone who you know is lying? I always stop and wonder, I wish I knew what they were thinking.

Imagine how nice it would be to look at someone and understand why they give you a weird look. I read that girl's hair isn’t brushed in the back. It would save me a lot of embarrassment if I could fix what I forgot to do right away instead of walking around my whole day with everyone noticing the same thing in silence. 

I could go into the world and ascertain my actions. I would know how my actions impact others and make adjudicated decisions. I wouldn’t be selfish with my gift. I would use it for the greater good of others too. I would spread positivity since I know how those words and actions make someone feel.

Now, there would be some personal benefits too. I could call out people when I see their noses growing like Pinocchio. If I played the cards right, I could use what they know about the situation and make sure I say exactly what needs to be said. 

My eyes popped out of my head when I read the thought I know she is right but what lie should I tell to cover for myself? This conversation couldn’t go any better for me. I knew it! I knew she would lie to cover her tracks. Without the truth, I would still exalt her. But now, I know her malice. 

Reading minds wouldn’t be necessary if people would just tell the truth. Sadly all day you hear people saying, “I didn’t say that” or “I know I am right”. By knowing what people were saying, I could see, understand, and apply what they were thinking to the situation from other perspectives. 

I’ll never be able to read minds and get the unfiltered thoughts of others but, I will always keep my eyes peeled for a growing Pinocchio nose. 

This piece is about truth and reading minds