Speeding Through the Symbolism: The Great Gatsby's Car Culture and American Excess | Teen Ink

Speeding Through the Symbolism: The Great Gatsby's Car Culture and American Excess

July 22, 2024
By Anonymous

The roar of an engine, the glint of polished chrome, and the freedom of the open road—cars have always been powerful symbols in American culture. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald has been regarded as a classic work of American literature that perfectly captures the materialism and moral decline of the Jazz Age. The story, which explores the socioeconomic changes and evolving values of the time, is set against the backdrop of the Roaring Twenties and explores themes of ambition, love, and the American Dream. Cars play a major part in the intricate network of symbolism at the core of the story. Under Fitzgerald's direction, cars become symbols of money, desire, and devastation rather than just useful tools for movement.
Cars serve as powerful symbols of wealth and prestige in The Great Gatsby, representing both the aspirations of the characters and the larger story of social mobility in America. As a moving billboard of his newfound wealth and status, Gatsby's extravagant car is described as “a rich cream color, bright with nickel, swollen here and there in its monstrous length with triumphant hat-boxes and supper-boxes and tool-boxes, and terraced with a labyrinth of wind-shields that mirrored a dozen suns” (Fitzgerald 50). The contrast between this ostentatious display and Tom Buchanan's more conventional and subdued automobile highlights the old money versus new money dynamic. Gatsby’s belief that his car advertises his wealth and status aligns with the novel’s broader commentary on the American Dream and material success. As critic Jacqueline Lance notes, “Gatsby believes that his automobile will advertise his wealth and new status, and it does with unfortunate results; he unwittingly advertises his status as an outsider, one of the nouveau riche of West Egg” (Lance 27). This realization draws attention to the unforeseen effects of Gatsby's extravagant spending. Gatsby represents the conflict between the aspiration for upward mobility and the existence of social boundaries by exposing himself as an outsider rather than blending in with the higher classes of society. Moreover, the differences between Gatsby's and Tom's cars go beyond appearances and explore the societal ramifications of their respective affluence. Tom's car, which represents his old money background, is elegant yet understated, signifying a solid social position that doesn't call for showiness. On the other hand, Gatsby's extravagant automobile highlights his ongoing battle to be accepted by the East Egg elite and serves as an attempt to close the gap between his humble beginnings and his aspirational persona. This struggle is further complicated by the superficial nature of his wealth, as it lacks the generational legitimacy that characterizes Tom’s status. Gatsby’s car serves as a metaphor for his life: meticulously crafted and outwardly impressive, yet fundamentally hollow in its ability to secure true acceptance and happiness. His belief that material display can compensate for his lack of pedigree is tragically flawed, revealing the limitations of the American Dream when pursued through superficial means. The juxtaposition of these vehicles underscores the novel’s critique of a society obsessed with wealth and status, illustrating how the characters' interactions with their cars reveal their pursuit of social mobility and its inherent vulnerabilities.
Gatsby’s car is not just a means of transportation; it is a statement of his arrival and a tool in his quest to win Daisy’s love, symbolizing his desperate bid to transcend his past and secure a place among the elite. The symbolism of cars in The Great Gatsby intricately weaves into the themes of love and desire, highlighting the characters' romantic entanglements and materialistic pursuits. Gatsby’s car is central to his pursuit of Daisy, embodying his romantic idealism and materialistic desires. Fitzgerald describes Gatsby’s meticulous care for his car: “He had thrown himself into it with a creative passion, adding to it all the time, decking it out with every bright feather that drifted his way” (Fitzgerald 74). This description parallels Gatsby’s obsessive efforts to win Daisy’s love, reflecting how his material wealth is intertwined with his romantic aspirations. Automobiles help to arrange secret encounters and represent the characters' aspirations. With so many unanswered questions, the drive in Gatsby's automobile to New York City sets the stage for the developing drama and love tensions. The automobile, as a symbol of travel and movement, reflects the transient nature of Gatsby and Daisy’s relationship, driven by desire but ultimately unsustainable. The intersection of love, desire, and materialism is further underscored by the color symbolism associated with Gatsby’s car. As Lance observes, “Yellow becomes the 'symbol of money, the crass materialism that corrupts the dream and ultimately destroys it'... Gatsby owns a monstrous and fantastic, yellow-colored car” (Lance 26). The bright, conspicuous yellow of Gatsby’s car symbolizes both his wealth and the superficiality of his dreams, highlighting the corrupting influence of materialism on genuine affection.
Cars in The Great Gatsby also symbolize the darker aspects of recklessness and moral decay, illustrating the destructive consequences of the characters' excessive lifestyles and irresponsibility. The dark symbolism of cars is starkly evident in the car accident that kills Myrtle Wilson. The incident is described with haunting clarity: “The ‘death car,’ as the newspapers called it, didn’t stop; it came out of the gathering darkness, wavered tragically for a moment, and then disappeared around the next bend. Michaelis wasn’t even sure of its color — he told the first policeman that it was light green” (Fitzgerald 105). This tragic event is emblematic of the recklessness and moral decay that pervades the novel. The characters’ excessive lifestyles and lack of responsibility are mirrored in their interactions with cars. Gatsby’s death and the aftermath of the car accident illustrate the destructive consequences of their actions. Fitzgerald critiques the carelessness of the wealthy through Nick’s observation: “They were careless people, Tom and Daisy — they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made...” (Fitzgerald 137). His critique underscores the profound moral bankruptcy of characters like Tom and Daisy, who are insulated by their wealth and privilege from the repercussions of their actions. Their callous disregard for the consequences of their behavior reflects a broader societal malaise, where the pursuit of pleasure and excess overrides any sense of moral responsibility. This critique is reinforced by Lance, who notes, “Not only are characters defined by the kind and color of automobile they drive, but the way they behave behind the wheel strongly indicates their attitude towards life and relationships” (Lance 28). The broader social commentary on the recklessness and excesses of the Jazz Age is encapsulated in the automobile trope, culminating in a symbol of death and corruption: “Throughout The Great Gatsby, he carefully constructs the automobile trope until it culminates in a symbol of death and corruption” (Lance 31).
In the grand tapestry of The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald's use of car symbolism provides a profound commentary on the complexities of American society during the Jazz Age. By exploring themes of social mobility, love and desire, and recklessness, this essay helps readers grasp the deeper narrative currents of the novel. Cars illuminate the characters' aspirations and the sometimes-hollow pursuit of the American Dream, revealing the intertwined nature of materialism and romantic desire and underscoring the tragic consequences of excess and irresponsibility. Fitzgerald critiques not only the characters but also the societal values of his time, a critique that remains relevant today as modern society grapples with similar issues. This reflection on Gatsby's tragic end and the wreckage left by careless actions serves as a poignant reminder of the human cost of unchecked ambition and desire. As we close the book on Gatsby’s tale, we might ponder: in our own lives, what do our “cars” symbolize, and at what cost do we chase after them?


 


The author's comments:

This is an essay written after reading the book The Great Gatsby on the symbol of car in the book.