Raising the Driving Age to Eighteen | Teen Ink

Raising the Driving Age to Eighteen

November 3, 2010
By Anonymous

I strongly encourage you to change the driving age to eighteen for three important reasons. Eighteen year olds will be more responsible, mature, and educated to be driving on the roads than sixteen year olds. Also most eighteen year olds will have a job and probably be able to pay their own insurance and gas bills. Furthermore, with more teen fatalities on the road each year than the numbers of deaths reported from 9/11, you must consider changing the laws governing teen driving. I firmly believe that you and other legislators should consider changing to driving age to eighteen to keep people safer.

One main reason, you should change the driving age to eighteen is that eighteen years olds will be more responsible, mature, and educated when driving on the roads. For example, eighteen years old do get into more than their fair share of wrecks. But this is due to their age-or lack of training/experience. Besides, parents don’t really show their kids how to drive-especially how to handle emergency, such as a slide on black ice. In addition to, teenagers will demonstrate the maturity and knowledge of safety while driving on the road when they are eighteen years old.

Another reason is most eighteen years olds will have a job and probably be able to pay their own insurance and gas bills. Further, there will be less insurance claims due to reduced auto accidents. As a result, overall your insurance rate will be lower. Therefore, there will be fewer unnecessary trips and they will save on their gas bills.

Finally, with more teen fatalities on the road each year than the numbers of deaths reported from 9/11, you must consider changing the laws governing teen driving. In fact, when sixteen years old drive, they are more easily distracted from other people in their car. For instincts, they could be talking or texting on their cell phone, or even be putting make-up on. Moreover, during night time driving, sixteen year olds are more likely to over correct when seeing animals or objects in the road. Lastly, young sixteen year old drivers accelerate to fast, try to beat red lights, ignore stop signs and won’t let other drivers change lanes in front of them.

If you are voting to change the driving age to eighteen, I urge you to do so for three main reasons. Older teens will be much more responsible, mature, and educated to be driving on the roads than sixteen year olds. Most eighteen year olds will have a job and probably be able to pay their own insurance and gas bills instead of their parents for them. There also will me much less teen fatalities than deaths reported from 9/11. You must consider changing the laws governing teen driving soon.