The Magnificent Kernel | Teen Ink

The Magnificent Kernel

By Jacob Edelman BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
Jacob Edelman BRONZE, Solon, Ohio

It’s super fantastic; it’s something that melts in your mouth; it’s luscious like a pillow…it’s popcorn. How would one even compare popcorn to any other food? The second I hear the first “pop!”, I get a warm feeling that immediately flows through my entire body like how a warm Sunday breeze brushes against my skin. With each pop, I’m baited with anticipation as it slowly fills the bag with low fat goodness. To me, adding butter taints the precious feeling of the light, heavenly kernels. For shame, for shame! on all the movie theaters that think its “cool” and “hip” to add butter and mess with culinary perfection. I know it goes without saying that I want fun, full flavored, flowing, crunchy, scrumptious goodness. Let’s be honest, who would want a boring food? Imagine the greatest feeling in the world. For some that might be playing video games, others painting or sports. But my greatest feeling comes when I pop one of those bad boys in my mouth and feel the “corny texture” and salt reach my taste buds and make them jump for joy like a six year-old on Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanza/other religious holiday. I know I don’t have to mention that the particular pieces picked by yours truly are of the best quality because of course, popcorn is of the highest grade of any food on the market. I could sit down and have popcorn for all three ill-advised square meals a day and as a light snack between lunch and dinner if I so desire. Popcorn’s my “thing”. Eating it is a lifestyle. It’s my world and I don’t know if I would have the will to keep living if it wasn't for this grain that was forced through air pressure to break free of its shell and grace the world with its presence. It’s my everything.