City of Bones Book Review | Teen Ink

City of Bones Book Review

By cgentry BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
cgentry BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare is a story filled with excitement and adventure, which leaves the reader wanting more at the end of every page. City of Bones is the first story in the Mortal Instruments Trilogy. This was a great story that was never dull. The author was able to create a spectacular world using vivid details and a great use of literary artistry. However, at points in story the descriptions of certain events drag on and begin to be over stated. Other than those few moments the book creates a great mental picture. Also the book is easy to read due to its simple words and basic story line. The clarity of this book is at the highest rating, because it is such a simple read. This book was certainly meant to be read by teenagers and anyone older than twenty may have a hard time sticking with it. That is partially due to its simplicity and the fact that the story is told by a fourteen year old. The book does however give a great escape from reality. Since the story is filled with demons and fairies the reader will have no problem escaping reality. With that said the reflection of reality within this book lacks. So a reader who does not enjoy reading fantasy fiction stories would most likely hate this book. Another great quality of this book is its ability to stick to the plot and keep the story flowing smoothly. The internal consistency of the story keeps all the events relevant to the overall plot of the story. Sticking to the plot is extremely important and this book does a great job at that, there are no “space fillers” within this book and the reader will thoroughly enjoy that aspect of the story. The City of Bones is an amazing read that is action packed and filled with adventure. Cassandra Clare does a wonderful job in creating a world that the reader will have a hard time leaving. The City of Bones is a great story that will keep any reader on the edge of their seat.