Consequences | Teen Ink

Consequences

By Nicole Soder BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Nicole Soder BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

Consequences.

People should always do the right thing no matter the circumstances or the consequences. I disagree because making the right decision no matter what the consequence is, is not always the answer to being fortunate. Although doing good things feels amazing to achieve, sometimes the consequences aren’t always what you expect. When you do good, bad consequences can happen. If you make the “wrong choice”, an opportunity can open up to you. Doing the right thing doesn’t determine what happens in the end. When people always do the right thing, they believe that they will end up being happy. Those individuals don’t know what the consequences are.

Around 4 years ago in 2009, my uncle went bankrupt because of the tough times in America when citizens would be unemployed. My family helped him. He and my cousin came and moved in with us for a year. My family had to buy my uncle and my cousin everything. Food, a car, and two beds and more. My parents did the right thing by helping my family out. Because we helped my uncle out; my family couldn’t buy other things that we wished for. My family had to watch out on how much money we could spend a month so we could buy the things that we needed to survive on. My uncle found a job and saved up his money and eventually moved out. Therefore, doing the right thing doesn’t always shower you with good fortune. In the book, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, a fiction story about families living during the Holocaust, a man named Hans, gave a Jewish prisoner bread (Page 393-395). Hans did the right thing for giving that prisoner a piece of bread. What was the consequence? Hans was whipped by a Nazi solider. “He was struck four times before he, too, hit the ground” (Page 394). Because of Hans getting whipped by a Nazi, Hans felt guilty that Max, (The Jewish man who Hans helped hide in his basement) had to leave. “What was I thinking?” His eyes closed tighter and opened again.” (Page 396). When Hans did the right thing, no good consequence came along with the good deed that he performed. Although making the right choice is always the best decision, the consequences are indicated on the choice that you make.

When you do a good action, you might feel positive for the rest of the day or you might expect that when you doing a deed, you’ll be happy. I object to that because even when you do the right thing, it might not always make you happy. I believe it truly matters on your decision that you make after the action you chose to do. Hans Junior, who is Hans Hubermann’s son, joined the Nazi party during World War Two. He thought that was the right thing to do. Hans Junior even told his father that Hans, himself, didn’t care about this country enough to join the Nazi party. “You’ve never cared about this country”, said Hans Junior. Not enough anyway.” (Page 105). “You coward”. He upturned them into Papa’s face, and he promptly left the kitchen, and then the house.” (Page 105). Hans didn’t make the right decision and the consequence was him leaving his family. Sometimes doing the bad decision can back fire, but after all, you make the choice at the end to make the opportunity happy or not.

While doing good deeds could lead to bad consequences, bad deeds could lead to good consequences. Liesel, the main character that lives during the time period of the Holocaust, from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, stole books. She stole books from a graveyard, from a burning stake of books, and from her town’s mayor. It isn’t a very good deed at all, but the consequence pays off. When she came to her foster parent’s home in another German town, she didn’t know how to read. She stole a book called “The Grave Digger’s Handbook” (page 29). Hans Hubermann soon found the book in Liesels room. “Is this yours?” ”Yes Papa.” “Do you want to read it?” “Again, yes Papa.” A tired smile. Metallic eyes, melting. “Well we’d better read it then.” (Page 64). Hans and Liesel would practice reading together. Soon enough, she learned how to read. She stole a couple more books from other places and eventually knew how to read completely.

Over all in a nutshell, not every good deed leads to good consequences. I believe that even when you perform a “bad” deed, a good opportunity could approach you. You shouldn’t do a good deed and expect something good to happen to you. You should make the opportunity yourself. If you make the “wrong” choice, it could end up being something better then you expected. I also believe that everything happens for a reason. Just because you do something good, doesn’t mean something good is going to happen. It’s luck that determines your consequence for you.

It's about a book called "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak