Should Pit Bulls Be Legal Pets? | Teen Ink

Should Pit Bulls Be Legal Pets?

March 7, 2014
By MKuehn BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MKuehn BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you think Pit bulls should be legal pets? Pit bulls make up 1% of the 61.6 million dogs in the United States. The domestic breed has been around since the 19th century for spectator sports such as bull and bear wrestling, starting their history of “violent” background. Pit bulls should be legal pets because they have rights, they aren’t all vicious, and they can be loving pets.
All dogs have rights. All dogs should have the ability to live in a friendly environment with a family that loves and cares for them. However, this is not the case for many cities and states. In some states, they are banned from animal shelters, homes and apartments for lease, daycare centers, dog parks, and group training. Even the Pentagon banned them from military housing. In Detroit, Michigan, you have to be at least 18 years old to walk a Pit bull. However, all types of dogs can be dangerous, but Pit bulls have been bred to fight other dogs.

They aren’t all vicious. Many people think if a Pit bull starts to bite dogs, it will start to bite people next. Research confirms that “dog-aggressive dogs” are no more likely to bite someone than dogs who aren’t aggressive. Some of the best fighting dogs are the most loyal and trustworthy to people. Another false statement is about their “locking jaws”, their jaws do not “lock” they grab onto. This is from their hunting background to hold onto animals.

They can be loving pets. Pit bulls are proven to be trustworthy to people. “They are very reliable with young children.” says ASPCA. (The American Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals) Like most dogs, they require a great deal of exercise, proper training, and responsible management. “Befriending a Pit bull can be very rewarding. They are the most faithful, affectionate, fun-loving companions.” says ASPCA.

Clearly, Pit bulls should be legal pets because they have rights, they aren’t all vicious, and they can be loving pets. Pit bulls are common household pets in the United States, and it would be unfair to take them away.