Putting on the Mask | Teen Ink

Putting on the Mask

June 3, 2015
By penny_lane BRONZE, Port Angeles, Washington
penny_lane BRONZE, Port Angeles, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Everyone has a mask that they wear. Actually, we all have different masks that we wear around certain people. What I am saying is that we all act s little different around certain people, whether it be a single person or a group of people. You can never really know a person, and nobody can really know you. We live in a society that has taught us to be ashamed and hide who we really are. This is all in the name of fitting in somewhere. Our family doesn’t even really know us; they know the mask we wear around them. We wear different masks around different relatives. Sometimes, we will allow little parts of ourselves to crack the mask and shine through; but very rarely do we let the mask come completely off, and when we do we usually regret it later. It is a really silly game that we all play in order to be accepted and to keep others happy. This society has gotten so bad that it causes us to hide our true personality suffocating it until most of us don’t even know who we are anymore. In fact, most of us don’t even realize we are wearing a mask anymore, they become a part of us and it seems nearly impossible to let them go.


The author's comments:

i wrote this piece because i want to bring awareness to this issue.