The difinition of equality | Teen Ink

The difinition of equality

February 1, 2012
By Anonymous

The definition of equality is, to be totally equal in everything including, money, housing, food, clothes, ect. In our global economies there has never been equality, someone is always ahead in the game and that someone is America. For as long as anyone could remember America has been on top, leaving the other countries in the dust. “The Rise Of the Rest” talks about how the other countries are beginning to catch up and equal out the playing field, but that may not be such a good thing or even possible. Following America’s model won’t get other countries far, Wars could break out. You could say that equality could be possible with time but Global equality is less likey to happen in the future.
Countries see each other as competion, always have and always will. But lately it almosts seems like a race to see who can get on top. America has been on top since forever and since the economy fall in 2008 other countries have been stepping up their game by following America as their model. Following America as a model is good for short term but sooner or later they will run into the same problems as well. Global economy is like a tipping scale, If you add more power to one side the other side with tip dramaticly. You can’t be equal unless you have the same amount on both sides. “Well consider this fact. In 2006 and 2007, 124 countries grew their economies at over 4 percent a year. That includes more than 30 countries in Africa. Over the last two decades, lands outside the industrialized west have been growing at rates that we once thought was unthinkable.” This quote is from “The rise Of the Rest” and it shows the alarming speed all the countries are rising up. With the way things are going equality is definitly impossible because all the countries started up the ladder at different places and in order for everyone to be equal someone would have to stop and wait and no ones wiling to fall behind like that.
With the rise of all the countries economies, brings in more money. While that may seem like a good thing, it’s not. As the global growth rises, so does the price for food and other things. Then when everyone has all the money they want, resources start to dry up and people will fight for the things that they need. You then have a war on your hands. “Of course, global growth is also responsible for some of the biggest problems in the world right now. It has produced tons of money. Almost all commodities are at 200-year highs. Food, only a few decades ago in danger of price collapse, is now in the midst of a scary rise. None of this is due to dramatic fall-offs in supply. It is demand, growing global demand that is fueling these prices. The effect of more and more people eating, drinking, washing, driving, and consuming will have seismic effects on the global system. These may be high-quality problems, but they are deep problems nonetheless.” This quote is also from the rise of the rest and it relates to how global equality is less likely to happen in the future because full global equality would be the ruin of all these countries.
Total global equality is more likely to happen now than in the future. If all the countries protect their recourses and ration them accordingly they could reach something close to equality, not fully but close. Bupot if this plan is dragged onto long term the global equality is not going to last. There’s always someone who wants more and will try to pull ahead of the rest preventing equality. “Yes, ‘Americans’ are popping up all over now – people who once lived low-energy lifestyles but by the dint of oil wealth or hard work are now moving into the U.S style apartments, cars and appliances.” This quote is from Doha and Dalian and it shows how everyone is using America as a model to become more equal.
Equality is something to strive for, but it’s not possible. With countries using America as a model they are bound to make the same mistakes, wars will break out over “over-pricing” products and resources running out. It’s self to say that Global equality is less likely to happen in the future.