Please Stand By. We are Experiencing Technological Difficulties. | Teen Ink

Please Stand By. We are Experiencing Technological Difficulties.

Technology may be the death of us. Not in the physical sense, but ultimately in the social sense. When we rely on smart phones and computers to do our work for us, and to entertain us, we begin to let the machines think for us.

Technology is the biggest problem facing my generation because it is over-used as a resource. Although technology helps us make advances in school research and written communication, it also has its negative impacts. Technology is like a prescription drug. If its use is moderated, it is beneficial to the person. If it is used excessively, it can produce negative side effects. Technology also can become addicting, and one might rely on it to function like a drug addict relies on drugs to get through the day. Although technology mainly affects mental skills, it greatly affects social skills as well.

Social skills of the children in this generation are rapidly declining. While this is happening, the ready access to technology continues to increase. Toddlers use iPads. Fifth-graders have cell phones. Coincidence? Perhaps not. Instead of talking face to face, or making eye contact, kids now text a buddy who is across the room instead of getting up to talk side-by-side. It is common to see people with their faces glued to their phones. Take a look at a restaurant and you’ll see entire families playing games on their phones instead of talking to each other. Technology can be a great asset, but it kills social skills.

Technology is bittersweet. It can to be helpful when doing homework by making it easy to access information, but damaging when social skills are lost. The inconvenient truth is dawning on us. Soon little Bobby won’t have the social skills to talk to Amy Sue down the street. Procreation will come to an end; and soon after, so will the human race.