Boris Johnson - why does our nation love him | Teen Ink

Boris Johnson - why does our nation love him

By 59Daisy100 BRONZE, Maidstone, Other
59Daisy100 BRONZE, Maidstone, Other

As a nation we are obsessed. It is undeniable that he looks hilarious; there is no question about that. His charisma exceeds that of any other politician and his quest to get everybody in London riding a BT bicycle is admirable.
But be honest with yourself how much do you know about Boris Johnson?
Only a fraction of his supporters know which party he stands for, let alone what his policies are. I would be amazed if any one of my friends could convey any other reason for liking Boris Johnson than his undoubtedly funny personality. In the eyes of our nation this man can do no wrong, but I beg to differ.
Johnson has no clear plan for what is to come for London, and the majority of his decisions seem ineffective. When he first campaigned for to become Mayor of London his policies were largely focused on trying to make London a greener city. However 2013 saw the highest pollution levels since 2003 and predictions from students at Kings College London suggest that these levels are set only to rise; a worrying thought for overly optimistic Johnson. The unsatisfactory statistics suggests that in reality Johnson is failing to achieve what he set out to do as Mayor of London.
We must not give up on Johnson yet however, there is more to come... or so we are told constantly by the press, who reassure us there is more to this politician than meets the eye. This completely un-pragmatic view of his capability to change our capital around for the better is one I find hard to come to terms with. The main argument Johnson has been making is to ban alcohol consumption on public transport, which recently came into place. As much as this in a step in the right direction for Johnson it is questionable how much commuters in London will benefit. Personally I never noticed a large amount of alcohol consumption taking place on public transport, and people under the influence of alcohol are still permitted on public transport, so it does not rule the problem of rowdy and inconsiderate passengers out.
Contrasting Ken Livingstone did make some major changes to the way London is run and inhabited; introducing Oyster Cards, helping London win the bid for the 2012 Olympics and introducing the congestion charge. Not all of Livingstone’s policies were popular but there were substantial and significant; in contrast to Johnson’s seemingly irrelevant polices. The Oyster cards adequately reduced waiting times for public transport, and have made it cheaper for commuters, although inflation has somewhat counteracted this. The London 2012 Olympics were something both Johnson and Livingstone contribute to; while Johnson took the nation through the triumphant games, it was Livingstone who helped to win the bid for the games in the first place. The games were a success, but much of this was down to the Olympic comity who worked tirelessly to ensure they ran without fault, therefore I do not feel that Johnson can be granted much credit for their success.
There are defiantly plus points to Johnson and his lack of achievement cannot be blamed entirely on him but party on whether there is a need for a Mayor of London. As Livingstone was the first to fill this position it is not as if it is traditional role that must be continued, so why is it needed. For smaller towns and cities I fully appreciate that to a have a major is crucial in deciding what happens within the town, although for London is it fully necessary? It is the Capital of England after all and one of the most influential cities in Europe; so of course it needs to be run efficiently, but it is where parliament is situated. Both the House of Commons and the House of Lords being situated in London, as well as Buckingham palace surely proves that there are enough influential figures in London to decide what happens in and around London, without having to hire someone to do this. While people are struggling in Britain on the poverty line parliament are employing unjustified amounts of people, who seem unable to make valid decisions, Johnson included in this.
Concluding Boris Johnson is a character loved by the nation, even if his polices are not realised by the vast majority of people. There are better uses for Johnson however; he has so many alternative career paths. Already Johnson is known for his historical writing and weekly Daily Telegraph column, additionally I am convinced he would be well received as a comedian or presenter, as for the large majority of people this is the main reason why he is liked. Boris Johnson clearly has many talents, although I cannot agree with the common misconception that politics is one of them.