The Rise of Fascism | Teen Ink

The Rise of Fascism

May 13, 2014
By emma escue BRONZE, Leitchfield, Kentucky
emma escue BRONZE, Leitchfield, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Fascism is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism that came to prominence in early 20th century in Europe. Fascism originated in Italy during world war I. Fascists unify their nation through an authoritarian state that promotes the mass mobilization of the national community. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation and it asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nations.

Fascism has been dead or banned since World War II. However, there seems to be a new modern form rising up in Ukraine. This is the rise of the most insidious form of fascism that Europe has seen since the Third Reich. Using intimidation and brute force like Hitler’s “brownshirts” or Mussolini’s “blackshirts”. Most fascist’s leaders see their way of life superior to every other way, and what is happening in Ukraine is no different. They have turned a conflict over economic policy and the political allegiances of the country into an existential struggle for the survival of the nation.

Protests in response to Ukrainian President Yanukovich’s refusal to sign a trade agreement with the European Union caused a riots and violence in the streets. This was seen by many political observers as the first step towards European integration. The protests had remained peaceful until mid-January when protesters armed with clubs, helmets, and violence on the police, storming government buildings. They were beating anyone suspected of pro-government sympathies, and generally wreaking havoc on the streets of Keiv.

The Question of Ukrainian fascism is whether it is to be supported or rejected? United States has strongly come down on the side of the opposition. US and western ruling class and its media machine have done little to condemn the fascist upsurge. US and its allies have given their tacit approval for the continuation and proliferation of the violence. The rise of fascism is not alone.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/202210/fascism
http://www.globalresearch.ca/ukraine-and-the-rebirth-of-fascism-in-europe/5366852
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/13/ukraine-uprising-fascist-coup-grassroots-movement