Leveling the Playing Field | Teen Ink

Leveling the Playing Field

April 28, 2019
By sydneykremerr BRONZE, Luling, Louisiana
sydneykremerr BRONZE, Luling, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In 1972, Title IX opened the door for women competing in sports: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."  Title IX continues to advance the debate as to whether or not girls should be allowed to play on boy’s sports teams. Sports teams should not be biased when selecting players and should consider girls to fill some of their openings. Furthermore, some girls possess the athletic prowess to play on a boy’s team.  Although many consider co-ed sports unsafe, the likelihood of injury is equal between genders. Girls should be granted the opportunity to play on boys’ sporting teams to promote impartiality and to advance their athletic proficiency.

Allowing girls to play on boys’ teams promotes equality.  For example, Title IX was passed in order to create fairness amongst peers.  According to the law, no one shall be turned down based solely on his or her gender.  Equal opportunities ought to be provided by teams in order for girls to display their full potential and capabilities.  Moreover, co-ed sports help prevent gender stereotypes. Team members are taught to deviate from these stereotypes and to value one another’s strengths.  Mixed teams teach girls and boys how to successfully work together. By shifting people’s perceptions away from their traditional views, gender disparity can be eliminated.   

Team members should be chosen based on their skill capacity in order for them to continue to grow over time.  For example, both girls and boys may possess the same athletic ability early on in life if nurtured identically.  A girl can achieve the same physical output as a boy while playing sports. Some girls may even be stronger or faster in certain areas of the game resulting in a more well-rounded team.  Additionally, playing with and against boys provides girls with the necessary competition to improve their skills. Co-ed sports challenge girls to excel and become more resilient over time.  These girls’ talents will continue to be encouraged and fostered. By allowing nature to take its course, only girls who are good enough and possess the necessary skills will be chosen for the team.     

Some people believe that having girls play on boys’ teams will make the girl more vulnerable to injuries.  They worry that girls will be placed in dangerous situations. People feel since boys are “bigger” and “stronger,” they will hurt the girls.  However, girls and boys have the same chance of being injured while practicing or playing in a game. Depending on her age, genes, and level of physical activity, a girl may be more suited for a certain position on the team than a boy is.  Size and strength do not necessarily mean that an injury will be prevented for either a boy or girl.

Boys’ teams should accept girl players because it establishes equality without discrimination and advances athleticism.  The coaches who choose the players to be a part of each sports team should be impartial to a person’s gender. The choice should be based on the player’s skills and talents in the given sport.  Developmental determinants factor into the chances of being injured rather than a person’s sex. The foundation of Title IX promotes equality by considering factors such as a person’s physical prowess and his or her ability to meet the standards required of the team.