All Girls in Kenya Should Have Equal Educational Opportunities | Teen Ink

All Girls in Kenya Should Have Equal Educational Opportunities

By _annabel127 BRONZE, Nairobi, Maryland
_annabel127 BRONZE, Nairobi, Maryland

Imagine a desolate town; imagine a dysfunctional family. All the boys have access to free education, but you're a girl, and you must stay home. Almost every girl in school cannot go a day without stressing about cultural beliefs, gender inequalities, and a chance to be themselves without needing to change for something superior.“If you educate a man, you educate an individual. But if you educate a woman, you educate a nation.”- African Proverb. 

Education has the power to shape and change the development of a society and its individuals. Education can reshape a nation, and so can it change a lifestyle. The power of education is in the hands of all of us to provide a chance to change someone’s life around. Girls need opportunities and respected rights, and by those means, all girls in Kenya should have equal educational opportunities. As I have spent my time in Kenya, I have barely seen a girl walk on her journey to school. I have seen crowds of boys laughing and communicating and embracing the significance of education, but there are possibilities in giving girls that chance. ‟The power of education extends beyond the development of skills we need for economic success. It can contribute to nation-building and reconciliation.”(Nelson Mandela) Of the many great leader’s Nelson Mandela argues the importance of education and the power education holds, which is dependent on the choices society makes. 

UNESCO has estimated that 132 million girls around the world do not have access to education. There are 7.6 billion people on this planet, and 132 million of those do not have the chance to get educated. Cultural influences have affected the healthcare of girls/ women and have impacted girls' access to education. Momentarily, across a wide span of global issues subjected to girls, women's human rights aren't respected. How society will be providing girls with access to education is the foundation to providing sustainable education for everyone.  Girls would have the chance to learn more about their health care to support their future children.  By gaining knowledge, women can help spread that information for future generations to receive trusted health care services. In 2019 around 6.1 million children and adolescents died due to preventable causes. Shockingly, children aged 5 accounted for most of the deaths in 2019, and nearly half of 6.1 million died at birth. 

Kenya aims to foster inclusive; and quality education reaffirms, ensuring that both girls and boys should have access to completing free primary and secondary education by 2030. Even though the goal is to achieve success over the next couple of years, some regions in Kenya have about 19 percent of girls attending school, 88 percent of children attending primary school in Kenya, and about 90% in secondary. Kenya requires development to support its youth with their education. The power which plays a significant role in such growth endures in girls. 

Since there are numerous barriers against girls by providing access to education, girls are more likely to drop out due to pre-existing inequalities. In 2010 according to the world bank, 11.24% of Kenyan females completed secondary school. Due to poverty, many girls can not afford the basic needs to complete their education. Most girls also live far away from schools and therefore have to attend boarding school, although boarding schools can also be significantly expensive. One of the profound setbacks is cultural influences that derive from stereotypes. If boys have greater access to education than girls because of stereotypes, then there is a problem with the way our future will continue to think. 

Japan is known for its educational restructure and the success its ideas have caused for its country. Japan decided to make some of the learning stages in school not compulsory and has free public elementary and middle schools. Even though some of their education is not mandatory, Japan offers a wide range of virtual teaching. With an efficient change in Japan's previous educational system with budgets reduced and different forms of education, Japan has supplied more children with access to school overall.

Even though this paper was about girls, gender is extensive. There are people still fighting for their right to education and a right to express their identity. From all, we know we can change things around and re-shape our education systems, although first, we need to respect everyone's human rights and pay close attention to the voices needing attention. I believe a couple of years from now, I will see more girls in their uniforms proudly changing the nation-Kenya.

I'm Annabel, and I'm about to go into the 9th grade. I love to learn about various social issues and take a stand to make a change. My writing was inspired by surroundings that lead to me taking a stand for girls and their education in Kenya.