Disability Discrimination | Teen Ink

Disability Discrimination

By HeatherH9899 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
HeatherH9899 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Around 48.9 million people in the United States alone, have a type of disability. That makes up around 19.4% of the population. That’s a lot of people who are disabled. That’s a lot of people who are treated differently, just because of something they can’t help. Disability discrimination is a very common form of discrimination, and we, America, need to do something about how these people are being treated. We aren’t treating them like they’re human beings anymore, they are a different species. They aren’t just another person walking down the street anymore. They’re special, so therefore we need to give them ‘special treatment.’ Check again. They’re another human being, just like you or I.

Why do people discriminate against disabled people? They're just like us, except they have an extra gene that we don't. So why are we treating them so differently? Human nature is to be afraid of what we don't understand, and we can't comprehend why disabled people act or look the way they are. So we treat them differently because we are afraid and we don't understand them. Another reason we treat them differently and discriminate is that some people have a fear because of the difference in looks and actions. For example, if someone came up to you and didn't make eye contact and had slurred speech, if you hadn't associated with a disabled person before, associating with them could scare you. And that's one of the main reasons we discriminate against anything; is because it scares us.

People don't like being uncomfortable around others, so they 'defend by attacking' whatever makes them feel uncomfortable. But most people are ignorant than deliberately aggressive. But some people’s self esteem is so tiny that they have to find someone ‘lower than them’ to feel superior too. Many people think that just because someone is physically disabled, they are also mentally disabled, which is not always true. Even worse is when people with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome are often socially isolated because people consider their lack of eye contact or their social difficulties as rude; they don’t take the time to try and understand them, and people in general with a disabilty, instead they find it easier to ignore or reject them.

The headlines say, “EEOC sues Aurora Health Care for disability discrimination.” The Equal Employment Opportunity Commision is suing Aurora Health Care for allegedly rescinding job offers to two people, after learning they had a disability. The two women who were interviewed could perform all of the tasks needed for the job. But after Aurora looked at their health records and learning they had a disability, they changed their minds. All because of the fact the the two women had a disability. Something they can’t help. That article proves that disability discrimination, isn’t just made up. Almost everyone discriminates agianst people with a disability. It’s a problem in America, in the world to be exact. And the only way that will change is if we are educated. “Tackling disability discrimination will take more than just building wheelchair ramps,” (Stein), isn’t that the truth? If we, America, are educated about the people who have a disability, how to interact with them, and what types of disabilities are out there, this will end.

To conclude, disability discrimination is an important topic. Kids come to school and are bullied every day because of something they can’t help. Adults aren’t able to work, because of something they can’t help. This is because people aren’t educated about the different types of disabilties and don’t know how to associate with people who are disabled. If we start educating kids in school about this topic, the next generation will know what to do. They will treat these people like humans, with respect. Then, they’ll come home and tell their sibilings and parents at dinner, about how kids are getting bullied and adults can’t get jobs, all because of something they can’t control. They will want to make a difference. And they will. One day, everyone will be educated about this. There will be no such thing as disability discrimination.