Stereotypes on the Disabled | Teen Ink

Stereotypes on the Disabled

February 11, 2013
By Anonymous

According to “The British Study of 2007”, about 82% of children with disabilities have been bullied or negatively stereotyped. If we do not approach the problem, this percentage will rapidly increase. In order to diminish the stereotypes on disabled people there needs to be action such as, accepting them for who they are.

A frequent stereotype on disabled people is that they are utterly incapable. The truth is, they are neither incapable nor helpless. Many tasks they can (and would prefer to) do by themselves. This stereotype was given to the disabled because for most Americans, it essentially second-nature to judge one another. When we judge each other, we become intolerant of that person, and ultimately, a stigma will form to them. We, as Americans, realize that it is wrong to judge others, yet we do it regardless. Why?

Let’s imagine that you live next-door to a child with autism. As you sit at the table in your house, drinking coffee and watching the news, you take a quick glance out the window. You notice your autistic neighbor receive many shoves and is being yelled at. You watch this day after day, but just can’t get around to helping the poor child. Well, this situation is similar to a young girl named Gabrielle, who was stereotyped as obnoxious and annoying because of her learning disability. Gabrielle cannot control that she has a disability. No one can control having a disability, but people judged her anyhow.

Action is the starting priority for ending negative stereotypes from judgmental people. The first step in modification is to alter out perspective and attitude regarding disabled people. We have to transform to be more accepting and tolerant with people who have disabilities. To do this, we have to expose ourselves more to the disabled, and educate ourselves about anyone who has disabilities.

To conclude, negative stereotypes are unacceptable. To decrease the intolerance towards the disabled, take a stand to make a change. They are people, just like you. They are entitles to be treated like one as well. Treat others the way you aspire to be treated.