Religion Stereotyping | Teen Ink

Religion Stereotyping

February 11, 2013
By PackerFan98 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
PackerFan98 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are a lot of people that stereotype and there are a lot of people that have religious stereotypes. Their have been lots of problems on this topic. Their have been wars that have started over this topic. It has caused many heated discussions. There are many different types of Religion. I will be talking about some religious stereotypes and talking about them and why they are wrong. I will share them using pathos, logos, or ethos. I will try to come up with a solution so we can stop religious stereotyping.

I read an article online that had a cartoon picture of a Islam and it has him saying “Islam is a tolerant religion, we tolerate fanatics, suicide bombers, and women barley.” That is wrong most Islams don't do any of that. It just takes a few of them to make a image that makes Islams and their religion look bad. When you here the news talking about a terrorist or a suicide bomber they put the country’s name or the religion in front of the word. Which then makes them look like they are terrible people. That just isn't right because then you here people start say bad things about them and they start stereotyping.

The next stereotype says catholics are stupid, and that was the headline of the article. It then later talks about different kinds of religious stereotypes and what they mean. But at first I was thinking there is no meaning to this article because right of the bat it says catholics are stupid. The next article is talking about different kinds of religious stereotypes and one of them being how many people think Mormans are weird. Which if you don't know about there religion how do know they are weird. You should learn more about there religion and lifestyle.

Another religious stereotype is that many people say Jews are greedy or selfish and all they care about is money. But in reality they are very good people they believe strong in there religion and have lots of celebrations. To learn more about there religion read a book about it. Instead of stereotyping about them and there religion. Think about how you would feel if you were having your religion stereotyped against.

Lastly the solution that I think would help us stop or prevent religious stereotypes is as a individual you should be more accepting and tolerant of other peoples religions. In the end it will make you a better person to. There are some stereotypes against religions that I have talked about. I hope now you know it is wrong to stereotype against religions. Just remember to be more accepting and tolerant of other people's religions.


Citations
"Stereotypes of Arabs, Middle Easterners and Muslims." Stereotypes of Arabs, Middle Easterners and Muslims. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2013.

AALetta. "Stereotypes in Religions." Teen Ink. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Feb. 2013.

Kellmeyer, Steve. "Cartoons." Catholics Are Stupid. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.

Turner, Reuben. Jewish Festivals. Vero Beach, FL: Rourke Enterprises, 1987. Print