Our Color-Coded World | Teen Ink

Our Color-Coded World

February 11, 2013
By tiger64guy BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
tiger64guy BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Albert Einstein


Racism: (n) a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race (Mariam-Webster). Think about it. Would someone really be different if they were raised in a family of a different race then they are now? Does the color of someone’s skin really change how they think? No. But there are still people in this world, and a whole lot of them at that, that still believe white people are somehow better than everyone else. Racism is a problem because people are taking it to the extreme and committing violent crimes just because of the color of someone’s skin.

Yes, violent crimes. According to the FBI’s annual hate-crime report for 2011, 47.9% of hate crime offenses were racially motivated. Forty-seven point nine percent. That is 3,465 out of the 7,240 single-bias hate crime offenses in 2011. Of those 3,465 racially motivated hate crimes, 72% were on an anti-black bias (which is a total of 2,495 offenses) showing that anti-black is the biggest problem. This is a lot more than any other race, with 16.7% against whites and 11.4% against other races (keep in mind that this is rounded). That is a 43.9% difference. That is huge, and just not right.

Well, crimes are being committed against races, but do we really know what is actually happening? Most people don't. Spring 2011, William Kirk Montgomery, Jonathan K. Gaskamp, and a few others conspired with one another to harass and assault African-Americans around Jackson, Miss. Many different times, they used beer bottles, sling shots, and motor vehicles to attempt to cause bodily harm to African-Americans, targeting those they believed to be drunk or homeless so they would not be reported. In one instance, they chased down and stopped an African-American's vehicle, then beat him to the point that he begged for his life. Now these things sound bad, but that isn't all of it. On June 27, 2011, they physically assaulted James Anderson, an African-American. Afterwards, they yelled “White power!” and ran Anderson over with their car, killing him. (jacksonfreepress.com)

Now, after that long description of what they did, let's ask some questions. Why would these people go out into the streets, just so they could find and assault african-americans? There is no good reason. If someone has different colored skin, what makes them so bad? Aren't we over that whole elementary school belief that difference is bad? Why haven't we learned? If our forefathers believed that all men are created equal, why shouldn't we? There is no reason for these crimes other than to just bully someone for being different.

Obviously, racism is a huge problem, so here is how we can stop it in our schools. There is one quite obvious way that anyone can help stop racism. What is it? Just speak out (www.stophate.us). Object to racist jokes and insults in your school (lets-stop-racism.tripod.com), and if you see something happening, stop it. It is that simple. I don't know how widespread the “Spread the Word to End the Word” campaign is, but this is just like that. All you have to do is stop using racist jokes and insults, and help encourage and stop other people.

As you can see, racism is a major problem in our country and our community. There is no basis for these violent and deadly crimes, except for the playground belief that difference is bad. But the truth is, it's not. If you get to know an African-American, odds are that they aren't that different from us. They are still people, and they deserve to be treated that way.


Works Cited
"How to Help Stop Racism." How to Help Stop Racism. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2013.
"Incidents and Offenses." FBI. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster, 2003. Print.
"Miss. Men Plead Guilty to Hate Crimes Against African Americans." Jackson Free Press. N.p., 04 Dec. 2012. Web. 01 Feb. 2013.
"Stop Racism." Stop Racism. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Feb. 2013.