You Can't Teach an Orca New Tricks | Teen Ink

You Can't Teach an Orca New Tricks

November 16, 2015
By actuallytran BRONZE, Sacramento, California
actuallytran BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A six ton killer whale is not something you can keep as a pet. Yet somehow, there are 59 orcas across the globe being held in captivity for our own selfish needs.


At SeaWorld, the orcas are the main event. As a child, I went to SeaWorld so often but the only thing I really remember is the big splash that came from Shamu, or whatever that day’s performing orca’s name was. Orcas are undeniably beautiful creatures that are incredible to watch, but is their entertainment value really worth the abuse on both ends?


SeaWorld claims that their orcas are safer in captivity than out in the wild. They specifically assert that they use their orcas to do crucial research that is impossible to replicate in the wild (Raja par. 2). The majority of the contention against SeaWorld was sparked by the release of the documentary Blackfish, directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite. Blackfish is a documentary featuring first-hand accounts from trainers and scientists that claim that orcas do not belong in such enclosures, and SeaWorld’s orcas exhibit violent behavior due to the lack of natural necessities such as family and the open waters (Blackfish). SeaWorld and the supporters of Blackfish can go back and forth calling each other liars, but at the end of the day, this could all be avoidable.


Orcas are not meant to be kept in captivity. They are called killer whales for a reason. Trainers or scientists responsible for the lives of these orcas may feel a bond, but there is no way to control the behaviors of such a massive creature. If a person were to fight another person, at least they both have the ability to defend themselves. When a massive animal weighs thousands of pounds more than you, the only thing you can do is run. These animals may also share this bond because it can be seen in other creatures, but that does not completely discount the fact that these animals will have bad days because we all do.


The public is worried about human casualties when dealing with orcas. The topic of saving orcas would not even be covered by the media if it were not for the high profile deaths like Dawn Brancheau’s. What about the orcas’ lives? Killer whales are three times as likely to die in captivity than in the wild. The stressful social and physical environment takes a toll on their health and their abilities to function (Rose par. 3-5). They cannot be forced to live for half the natural life expectancy just to perform tricks. These orcas perform tricks because they want their food. We are taking away their ability to function naturally by keeping them in these tanks where their whole life is just swimming in circles and doing big splashes for an audience.


How many more lives need to be lost before more people start to push for actual reform in marine parks? When a dog attacks, people are so quick to seek treatment for the dog or send him to the pound. People say that it is that dog’s natural instinct, and he just was not trained properly or he was provoked. At what point will parks like SeaWorld realize that you cannot teach a whale to not kill? The simplest way to prevent new problems is to just stop. Stop teaching tricks to the orcas; stop keeping them in captivity; stop taking them away from their habitats.


The author's comments:

Upon viewing the 2013 documentary Blackfish, I felt a spark of inspiration to create change in the environment. As a student in high school with no real credibility to defend the poorly treated orcas, I hope that my writing will be enough to make a difference.