Captivating in Captivity: The Orcas of SeaWorld | Teen Ink

Captivating in Captivity: The Orcas of SeaWorld

October 27, 2016
By samiradarabzand BRONZE, Sacramento, California
samiradarabzand BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The film Blackfish, directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite, became a global phenomenon upon its release. The depiction of killer whales being separated from their pods for the amusement of SeaWorld patrons raised questions on the ethics and morals of the practice. Should these majestic creatures be used for entertainment?


There have been many studies to find out if keeping orcas in captivity is right or wrong.


According to SeaWorldOfHurt, there are many reasons why orcas should stay in the wild, among them collapsed dorsal fins, premature deaths, and separation anxiety. The whales at SeaWorld also swim in what humans would consider a bathtub, when in the wild they would swim 100 miles per day. This confinement and stress in turn leads to hostility and violence toward the trainers and guests.


This violence is not something unfamiliar to SeaWorld.


In February of 2010, SeaWorld trainer and poster girl Dawn Brancheau was dragged into the water and killed by one of the park’s most famous animals, Tilikum the orca. Her autopsy revealed that she had died from blunt force trauma and drowning, as well as suffered from broken ribs, jaw, and spine. Her scalp was also completely torn off from her head and her arm had been ripped off by Tilikum. This incident was the first death of a SeaWorld trainer, but not the first violent outburst from a SeaWorld whale.


Incidents at SeaWorld are fairly common. OrcaHome even created a complete list of mishaps in the history of the park, with over 150 events. These include trainers being pulled into the water, being pinned against a tank, or deaths like Brancheau’s.


Some argue that taking whales and putting them in these parks is a benefit, because it is a place where they are away from the risks of the wild and taken care of on a regular basis. This, however, is untrue. Because the orcas are in such a different environment than they are built for, what is provided for them is not what they need. They need space to swim, a pod to socialize with, and good food to eat. In captivity, they have no space, no family, and frozen fish and gelatin.


Too often corporations put profit over the lives of innocent creatures. We must stop using animals like killer whales for entertainment. It is not safe for the whales and it is not safe for the trainers, the patrons, or the environment. The only thing you can guarantee is that there will be money put into the pocket of a businessman, which is not worth the lives lost.