All I Want For Christmas Is You | Teen Ink

All I Want For Christmas Is You

By madisonnfloress SILVER, Hemet, California
madisonnfloress SILVER, Hemet, California

The day after Thanksgiving, my dad started playing the Christmas music.  Uh-oh. You know what that means. It’s Christmastime in the Flores house, everybody.  My mom and I race to the garage and pull out our huge green tubs of decorations. It’s a two man job to carry the box carrying or Christmas tree.  I can’t wait to see my favorite piece of the whole house: my oversized stocking that says “Madison” on one side “Arabella” on the other. All of a sudden, something happens that’s even better than my favorite stocking and decorating the tree all together.  The best Christmas song of all time, and I mean, the best Christmas song of all time comes on: “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey.  Now, Christmastime really had begun.

After the  first introductory lines of the song, Mariah gradually slows down from “All I want for Christmas, is…”, and that is where I think: “Here it comes!”.  I take in the biggest breath ever and belt out, “YOUUUUUU!”. I start dancing like a maniac and my feet match in perfect rhythm to the “dun dun duns” of the piano.  All of a sudden, I stop dead in my tracks. Something came over me that made me realize that I really do want something for Christmas: you.

December 3rd is a Monday, and it’s also the first school day of December.  I walk into school while blasting Mariah in my headphones. Then, I see you.  You, the one I want for Christmas. I see you and it’s like the music begins to fade away like in the movies and everything starts to move in slow motion.  My eyes are fixed on you, and only you. You’re the one that makes my heart flutter and my head fill with panic. You’re the one that makes me laugh when I’m on the verge of tears.  You’re the one who changes the way I act around you. Your smile is the highlight of my day. You’re you, and I wouldn’t want want any more than just you.

When we talk, we tease each other how two teenagers should.  But, I can tell you have a little thing going on for me, too.  When you’re around your friends, you see me and get a little shy.  I see you turning your head ever-so-slightly behind you in class, then your eyes dart away to pretend like you weren’t staring.  

In all honesty, I think it’s adorable.  Your change in attitude whenever I’m around makes me think, “Hmm, maybe we do have a chance.”  I would shoot my shot, but I want to wait as long as I can to see if you do it first. We’re so close, and the fear of messing up our friendship is the one thing that’s holding me back.

Santa, I hope you’re seeing what I’m going through.  As you can tell, Mariah Carey put me in a sticky situation.  Oh well. All we can do is wait. All I want for Christmas is you, and I hope you want me too.