It's All About Me | Teen Ink

It's All About Me

And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord yo d3ur God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:35-39)

In today’s day and age, a lot of people are only focussed on themselves. What they are going to eat for lunch, what they need to do at work, what they need to get from the store on the way home, and the list goes on. Our days are centered around our thoughts and needs. Philippians 4:19 says, “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” This text tells us that God will supply us with all of our needs so we should not need to worry about ourselves.

Jesus says we need to love your neighbour as yourself. We need to think about other people’s needs just as much as we think about our own. This can be hard, especially to those who hurt us, annoy us, or even those who we don’t know. We should remember that Jesus commands us to love God with our whole heart, soul and mind and if we listen to this, he will take away our selfishness. This commandment is impossible to keep perfectly, but we can take baby steps by starting with loving God above everything.

For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. (Romans 13:9-10)